• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The elusive C750UZ (1 Viewer)

helenol

I ordered this camera from Jessops on the 28th Aug, after I was told it would be delivered "mid-september".

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong but I would think the 23rd September is verging on the "end-September". I've now been given a tentative date of 7 October, though this was provided with some doubt.

Apparantly there is a shortage of this particular camera.

Why? What is the big deal?

I'm tempted to buy on the internet, but the thing that puts me off is if there is a problem with it, I have to go through all the rigmarole of sending it back, whereas a high street supplier one at least has human contact.

Has anyone else experienced "shortage" problems?

Also, has anyone purchased a digicam through Amazon?
(Mods - please accept my apologies if I am breaking the houserules regarding commerical websites etc - feel free to delete).

H
becoming impatient :C

Last year I ordered a digital camera from www.unbeatable.co.uk, got fed up waiting for it to come, and bought a different model from Argus instead. I think the problem is that online stores don't know - or don't care - what they actually have in stock and what might take forever to come from suppliers. With a real life store they either have it to hand to you or not.

With something changing as quickly as electronics there is a chance that the manufacturer will close down the production line after making a fixed quantity, leading to a glut or shortage depending on demand. If they find problems with a model they may also skip to a new model rather than fixing the problem.

helenol

I ordered this camera ages ago on Amazon and today have been given a revised dispatch date of between 1st and 8th October. I have read your earlier posts with interest. Jessops said they would try and match the Amazon price but they will not be getting any until "early October". Looks like we will have to be patient either way !

Funnily enough I was in Jessops yesterday hopng to get a look at the C750 as I wanted to compare it with the new Minolta Dimage Z1. Unfortunately neither were in stock. The Z1 was on the database but being new they haven't received the order. The C750 has been so darn popular that they have them on back order too. I think their policy of price matching has certainly brought them a lot of trade. Likewise they said early October for deliveries though they could turn up any time soon.

Helen there is no problem with this thread. It's just where people blatantly advertise a commercial site for financial gain. We all benefit from open discussion as to who are and where are the best and worst suppliers :t:

Update

Tonight, feeling thoroughly fed up about the whole episode, I did an internet search and found a site that had very good reviews regarding their delivery times, service, telephone manner etc.

They also have a "proper" address in Guildford, and were offering the 750UZ at £385. (£21 more than Amazon). I called them by phone, they physically went to check there was one in stock. I ordered it by telephone, speaking to a fella who clearly wasn't working in a "customer service centre". I also ordered a 128mb card for £43, possibly not the best deal, but it seems worth it for the ease of ordering and also speaking straight away to a human being!

My 750 will be (God I hope so!) dispatched tomorrow by CityLink couriers. If not, I will personally go to Guildford and tell them to stick the 750 where the sun don't shine.

I will keep you all updated.....

H

helenol said:

My 750 will be (God I hope so!) dispatched tomorrow by CityLink couriers. If not, I will personally go to Guildford and tell them to stick the 750 where the sun don't shine.

Remind me not to ever upset you 3:)

Seriously it is really frustrating isn't it. :-C

As a rule I try to buy from somewhere local. At least I can go in and rant at some one

Helen
calm down you will blow a gasket!! I really hope it comes through for you.

Let us know what you think of it. After having drpped my Uzi twice I'm looking for a replacement in case it happens a third time.

Sorry Helen,

It's an Olympus C2100UZ - most owners affectionately call it an 'Uzi' - must be the long powerful zoom ;) It's a superb camera to use and I hope the C750 will be a good but with more MP's.

Well, well, well, a knock at the door today. It was the nice delivery man with a 750UZ for me. Wonders will never cease. Strictly speaking of course, it should have been delivered yesterday, but that wasn't the fault of the digicam people, it was the courier.

So, the guys in Guildford delivered as they said they would. Well done to them!

Incidentally I went into Jessops today to cancel the 750 they had on order for me. The guy mentioned he can't understand Jessops not stocking them, as he has had so many potential customers asking about this camera. I guess they are put off somewhat by the eternal wait for them. Go elsewhere I say. I did.

Well, I'm off to have a "play around" with the camera and try and figure out what it's all about.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back