• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beijing botanical garden(China) birding (1 Viewer)

Nick asked me how many species I had seen in my local patch.
I just count them. Thanks to new taxonomy, We can see more birds:
such as Red-throated Thrush and Black-throated Thrush;
Dusky Thrush and Naumann’s Thrush.

bird list:
1 Little Grebe
2 Chinese Pond Heron
3 Black-crowned Night Heron
4 Mallard
5 Crested Honey Buzzard
6 Eurasian Sparrowhawk
7 Common Buzzard
8 Common Kestrel
9 Common Pheasant
10 Oriental Turtle Dove
11 Spotted Dove
12 Indian Cuckoo
13 Crested Kingfisher
14 Common Kingfisher
15 Eurasian Hoopoe
16 Grey-headed Woodpecker
17 Greater Spotted Woodpecker
18 Grey-capped Woodpecker
19 Barn Swallow
20 Red-rumped Swallow
21 White Wagtail
22 Collared Finchbill
23 Chinese Bulbul
24 Crested Myna
25 Eurasian Jay
26 Red-billed Blue Magpie
27 Azure-winged Magpie
28 Common Magpie
29 Large-billed Crow
30 Carrion Crow
31 Winter Wren
32 Daurian Redstart
33 Northern Red-flanked Bluetail
34 Red-throated Thrush
35 Black-throated Thrush
36 Dusky Thrush
37 Naumann’s Thrush
38 Red-throated Flycatcher
39 Père David’s Laughingthrush
40 Vinous-throated Parrotbill
41 Yellow-browed Warbler
42 Pallas’s Leaf Warbler
43 Long-tailed Tit
44 Great Tit
45 Yellow-bellied Tit
46 Coal Tit
47 Marsh Tit
48 Chinese Nuthatch
49 Eurasian Tree Sparrow
50 Brambling
51 Common Rosefinch
52 Grey-capped Greenfinch
53 Yellow-billed Grosbeak
54 Yellow-throated Bunting
55 Little Bunting
56 Tristram’s Bunting

All of the English names according to
'Beijing Bird Watching Society. 2009. The Checklist of Birds of Beijing (2009 edition). Beijing Bird Watching Society, Unpublished checklist.'

An interesting thread, Xiaoming!

I will be keeping my eye on it, as my wife and I are planning to come to Beijing in May of this year to visit our # 1 son. (He is currently teaching at Tsinghua University, in Beijing.) Perhaps we could do a little birding together when we are there (providing that you are not too busy).

I will be keeping my eye on it, as my wife and I are planning to come to Beijing in May of this year to visit our # 1 son. (He is currently teaching at Tsinghua University, in Beijing.) Perhaps we could do a little birding together when we are there (providing that you are not too busy).

Welcome to Beijing! Many Palaearctic birds are waiting for you!!

Chinese Blackbirds(Turdus mandarinus), used to be considered as a subspecie of Common Blackbird. Nick, this may be a new bird for you.(*^__^*)

Thanks for info Xiaoming, will certainly be a new bird, will check

Cheers
Nick

In fact, I didn't see any large difference between Common and Chinese blackbird.

Hi Xiaoming,
From my experience the Chinese blackbirds are larger and their call totally different to the UK birds. There also does not seem to be the big difference between male and females in China, in the UK the males are very black, the females brown, in China they both seem to be brown. Just my views

Cheers
Nick

Feb 8
After a good birding trip to Shidu, China Birds (Nick Sismey) and I had a quick visit to my local patch. Nick amazed by so many magpies(lots of Common Magpies, Azure-winged Magpies and some Red-billed Blue Magpies) here and said Beijing must be the capital of Magpies.

Xiaoming,
If you don't mind, I'll add my newest observation, related to magpies, here:

Today's excitement - I saw my first azure winged magpies in Qinhuangdao. I'd seen lots in Beijing and couldn't figure out why we didn't have them here. Today I spotted a small flock of about 4 on our campus, but they were very shy, not bold and brassy like the Commons! Just yesterday we saw a similar size flock of the red-billed ones on campus - beautiful with their long long tails.

So along with our easily viewed common ones, we had all three kinds of magpies on campus within 24 hours - hadn't seen anything like that in the past year! I'm thinking we might have more birds right now than when all the students come back from holiday...

Gretchen

Hi Gretchen
Azure-winged Magpie is very intersting. In Tianjin city threre are many Azure-winged Magpies. But in my home-Tanggu, a small town belongs to Tianjin, I saw never. They are only 40-minute-way by car.

what's your major subjuct in Yanshan University?

LI Ming

Li Ming,

That is interesting! I actually saw the group the previous day, but with very bad lighting and I wasn't completely sure that they were the azure winged ones. But when I went out the following day I got a very clear view of them.

Perhaps all the magpies are competing for the same niche, and the Common ones chase out other types in these areas? It's kind of interesting that in all 3 times I saw them, the azure winged and red-billed were definitely in small flocks (which I haven't noticed in the common ones here, or the azure winged in Beijing).

I'll keep looking around more carefully. It will be interesting to see if indeed only the Commons have nests here on campus. (Do you know if the other two types have the same style nests?)

Gretchen

I only saw common and Azure-winged's nests. Common Magpies have very complex nest-a ball- outside are branches, inside are mud and sth soft. The nests have entrances in side. But Azure-winged Magpies have very small and simple nests--just like a plate.

HIi,Xiaoming!
This is an interesting thread!I was impressed by the number of birds you can see in your garden!With so many birds to see,you are so lucky!

Sherry

Larry:
If you come to BJ between late April and early May. I suggest you spend some days in BeiDaiHe- 3 hours from Beijing by train, where is the best birdingsite at that time.

LI Ming

[Yesterday, I bought a camera-Panasonic FZ28, a 18*Zoom digital camera.
Today, I try to take some photoes of birds by it.
Blackbird, Myna, Wren
I also see my 57th local birds: Goldcrest.

Attachments

• blackbirds.JPG
    blackbirds.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 40
  • crested myna.JPG
    crested myna.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 45
  • wren.JPG
    wren.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It's more than a year since I started this thread. Chimonanthus praecox in our garden is blooming again.Enjoy it.

Attachments

• lamei.jpg
    lamei.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 50
Xiaoming,

Congratulations on the camera - it seems to be doing very nicely for you. It's great to see your pictures. I'm very pleased to see your pictures of the myna and wren which I haven't yet seen in my neighborhood, and am hoping too. The wren is so dark compared to the ones in the US, so it's good to realize what I should be looking for.

I've not very familiar with the plant, I guess my mom would call it winter sweet, so thanks for sharing that too - looks unusual.

Congratulations too on the goldcrest! :-O Can I ask where you found it (what kind of environment or time)?

Gretchen

Gretchen,
As I know, Goldcrests like coniferous tree. The morning is better. Every time, I heard the song from 5-10m away and then found them.

Today, I saw the 58th local birds: Chinese Hill Warbler(White-browed Chinese Warbler ).

Xiaoming,

I wanted to put up the most interesting bird I saw on campus this winter - I believe it's a Daurian Redstart - does it seem right to you? It's a new bird for me.

Today on a walk in our local woods I think I saw my first yellow-throated bunting. I was wondering if it was too early for them, but I see you had them on your winter list - so I guess not |:$|. Unfortunately that was the only new bird today, though we were surprised to see a rabbit in the woods - not too common!

Attachments

• P1010091.jpg
    P1010091.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back