• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian Birding (1 Viewer)

Also....

Regularly seen Eurasian Blackbird is here. Isn't this an unusually far north sighting for this species? Another species moving north like the Chinese Bulbuls we are flooded with? Had 2 Purple-backed Starlings the other day as well. Never saw them before.

DB

Blackbird,Chinese Bulbul,Red-billed Starling,Crested Myna.........are getting commoner and commoner there.Also Black-shouldered Kite,Pied Kingfisher........
As I remembered,I saw them in North China first in 2003.

Regularly seen Eurasian Blackbird is here. Isn't this an unusually far north sighting for this species? Another species moving north like the Chinese Bulbuls we are flooded with? Had 2 Purple-backed Starlings the other day as well. Never saw them before.

DB

Migration does start to run dry at this time of year, but Daurian Starlings (not a fan of Purple-backed as a name) are a pretty good way to wrap it up.

We still have waders, so I'm sure it won't be too long before you get some, possibly late-moving non-breeding birds - and by the end of the mionth returning birds too.

Cheers
Mike

Sandflats and area Today

Wow, Birding is quiet these days. I went down to the sandflats to see if I could find the odd rare, late migrant, but there was very little to be seen...

7 Chinese Egrets
1 Little Ringed Plover
2 White Wagtails

That was it! No gulls, no ducks, no more shorebirds.

The ride to and from showed...
1 Eurasian Kestrel
1 Common Pheasant
1 small flock of Oriental Greenfinches.

6 species today.

DB

About 5.30 this morning here in Beijing, just west of the Shichahai area and south of Jishuitan Bridge, I heard a very distinct call from an Indian cuckoo. I guess they are still in town for the summer.

Slightly unrelated to birding but worth a mention: I ran across a black mulberry (黑桑树) tree near Xiaoxitian. No birds eating the berries, but one neighborhood street urchin had climbed on top of the nearest ping fang, and was picking berries to his heart's content.

Jinshitan Local Birding Again.

Despite finding very little around these past view days, I headed out with a spare hour or two this morning. I figured it rained on Friday, so being Saturday, maybe the odd late migrant was out and about. Well, I was rewarded with views of 1 Grey-tailed Tattler. Another first for me in this area!

Near the coast were:

3 Mandarin Ducks
25+ Spot-billed Ducks (unusually high count compared to latest records)
6 Malards
1 Common Hoopoe
2 Eurasian Cuckoos
Barn Swallows
1 Grey-tailed Tattler
Little Ringed Plovers
Kentish Plovers
Black-tailed Gulls
Vega or Mongolian Gulls (I never know which is which)
Common Kestrel
20+ Chinese Egrets (The most I have ever seen in one area).
3 Little Egrets
6 Striated Heron
3 Black-naped Oriole
Great Tits
Chinese Bulbuls
White Wagtails
1 Citrine Wagtail
Oriental Greenfinch

Attachments

• Grey-tailed Tattler (1024x768).jpg
    Grey-tailed Tattler (1024x768).jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Kentish Plover and Little Ringed Plover (1024x768).jpg
    Kentish Plover and Little Ringed Plover (1024x768).jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 41
For Mike and Mark

Some pics for Mike and Mark from my recent trip to Shicheng Islands, not far from my home here in Jinshitan. Credit to Bai for the quick hands on the Gray's Warbler photo.

Attachments

• Gray's%20Warbler (1024x710).jpg
    Gray's%20Warbler (1024x710).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8086 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg
    IMG_8086 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi Dave

Many thanks for posting these pix. Brilliant to see Pelagic Cormorant - a bird I thought was a big rarity as a breeding bird

I hate to be a party pooper, but I think the Gray's Grasshopper Warbler looks like an Oriental Reed Warbler. It would be amazing for a Gray's to be out of cover like this, and I think the head pattern is closer to ORW, and the legs & feet are too dark and the tal should be more rufous.

I hasten to add I have never seen Gray's , but it does look good for ORW.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the comments, Mike. No 'party pooper' status is headed your way, this is why I wanted the pictures to post them. The group I was with seemed to really know their birds and concluded it was a Gray's Grasshopper Warbler. Since I have no experience with the bird, and very little with Oriental Reed Warbler, I figured I should get a picture and post to see what reactions are out there! It was out of cover for only a split second between bushes, and I was shocked that they got a picture of it. The group had plenty of equipment and much better cameras, etc...but to get a picture of this bird between the brush took incredibly quick hands. I sure didn't get a photo. I certainly wasn't sitting in the open posing for portraits!

By the way, you are sure they are Pelagic Cormorants?? :)

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave

The Pelagic Cormorants look good - the only potential confusion species is Red-faced Cormorant, which unsurprisingly, shows more red on the face.

Here is a link to pix of Gray's which I'm pretty stunned by - looks more like a thrush or a pipit than a warbler on those long legs! There's another picture in the same Flickr set.

Cheers
Mike

Wow! If I saw that bird I would not be looking in the warbler section. I would be trying to match it with some thrush species for sure!!

Thanks for the link

DB

End of "patch"

Hello fellow Bird-enjoyers.

I am all packed up and tomorrow I leave for Canada, so my "patch" here in China has ended. Thanks for the help, advice, identification, etc that you have provided while I was here. With very little travel and working fulltime in an unrelated field, my China list is over 250 species so I feel quite satisfied with all the sightings locally over the past 10 months.

Good Birding to all,

Dave

Nice one Dave, thanks for all the entertainment! Wish you a safe journey and no doubt you'll be back some day...China is rather addictive!

Sorry to hear you're moving on, but its been great to have an insight into that little-birded corner of China. Thank you.

Good birding wherever you end up.

Cheers
Mike

I wondered if you would be finishing up the term soon. I hope you have a good trip back. I bet you make your way back here somehow for spring migration again. Let me know if you come this way.

best wishes, Gretchen

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back