• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on a found baby birdy. (1 Viewer)

So yesterday I found a baby cliff swallow. Its nest was way to high for me to reach. I set him off to the side and continued my way to the duck pond. The bridge he lives under is very high traffic area (for bikes). In fact, under all the nests were little crushed baby bird bodies. When I returned he was still laying on the ground. I took off my roller blades and then scooped him up and put him in my old cage. (after cleaning it). I have tried offering him food (via syringe) every two hours. He drinks a little but not much. He can drink water on his own from a bowl. So I stuck the cricket slurry in a small bowl hoping he will eat it. I have seen baby swallows on you tube eating grubs. I went and got some, no avail. Any one know what to do at this point? He is also quite the little social thing. He loves perching on me. O and one last tid bit. I have tried to keep outside on my back porch in the shade. I have a falcon that tried to eat my zebra finch so he has an eye out on my porch, and sure enough this morning at feeding time he was sitting and waiting. .

UPDATE: I decided to try shoving a grub or cricket in his face one more time. And it worked. We dropped the first few of them, but once I got the hang of shoving the tweesers down his little throat he ate a ton! I know his first time drinking water was in my cage, and he isn't having any trouble with it. I hope so much that I can return him to his flock in a two weeks!

Last edited:
I know it has been four months but I'm very curious to know what happened. I hope you were able to return the little guy to the wild. I salute you for trying. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back