• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP! Leica 32x or 32xWA Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Raptor

Anyone had a chance to view these side by side? I would like to know if you loose any optical quality when using the 32x wide angle vs 32x? .........Michael Woertman, Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation, Canada.

iporali said:
Are there different 32x eyepieces from Leica? I have thought that the 32x is always THE wide-angled one. The 32xWW is IMHO optically the best eyepiece there is (well... together with the new Swaro 30x ;) ) - certainly doesn't suffer from being so wide. See Leif's review http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=76&sort=7&cat=11&page=1

Ilkka

ah right, I see the confusion.

I am assuming that raptor has a Televid 62 for which there are a 32WW and a 32x so these would be 40 on the T77. I believe the 32ww/40ww was introduced especially for the Televid 62. The 32WW on the T77 is the 26WW on the T62 and its gorgeous. I preferred it to the Swaro but they are both crackers - we're spoilt!!

pduxon said:

I am assuming that raptor has a Televid 62 for which there are a 32WW and a 32x so these would be 40 on the T77. I believe the 32ww/40ww was introduced especially for the Televid 62. The 32WW on the T77 is the 26WW on the T62 and its gorgeous. I preferred it to the Swaro but they are both crackers - we're spoilt!!

Pete - I think you are just right! And yes - we are spoilt with all these fine optics.

Michael - So the question is actually, do you need the power (32x) or the wide field (26/32xWW)? I would take the 26x for a wide field... (and the zoom for power).

Ilkka

Yes I have the Televid 62 APO, I have settled on the 32WW for the wide field of view 131' @ 1000yds, I have the zoom as well, we age Goldens at great distances up to 2000 -3000 meters away, when on higher zooms (w/16-48zoom) you loose quality and it is uncomforatable holding your eye at the eyepiece (barrelling effect) and moving the scope at the same time, waiting for up to a minute for the subject to show you something so you can age it, so I am hoping that the 32ww can make the whole process speedier and more accurate, I will post a report on my results, thanks for your input, Raptor, www.eaglewatch.ca

pduxon said:

Yes I have the Televid 62 APO, I have settled on the 32WW for the wide field of view 131' @ 1000yds, I have the zoom as well, we age Goldens at great distances up to 2000 -3000 meters away, when on higher zooms (w/16-48zoom) you loose quality and it is uncomforatable holding your eye at the eyepiece (barrelling effect) and moving the scope at the same time, waiting for up to a minute for the subject to show you something so you can age it, so I am hoping that the 32ww can make the whole process speedier and more accurate, I will post a report on my results, thanks for your input, Raptor, www.eaglewatch.ca

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back