• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

La Paz Waterfall Gardens (1 Viewer)

A warm flush from knowing you are wealthy enough to pay such a fee? :)

That's just it, I'm not, would be pricey at half that for what it is....changing plan as we speak.
Out of curiosity, did you pay to go in?

Alan, any idea how many people connect with Ochre-breasted Antpitta here, is there anywhere else for it?

None listed on the itinerary I have organised.

A

Last edited:
I don't think it was that expensive when I visited about 6 years ago. At the time, it was for me the easiest accessible spot to see some higher elevation hummers, most of which I did not see elsewhere on the trip I had planned. It got me exited for a while. If you are elsewhere with good hummers at a similar elevation then this is not a must. If I recall correctly, they also had some cages with monkeys which supposedly were from rescue of captive animals (it has been a while, I hope I am correct).

Niels

It's the easiest place that I know of to see Black-bellied Hummingbird, though I think that can potentially be seen elsewhere with a bit more effort (but less cost?). It's quite good for birds but it's a lot of dosh. Quite a few places in Costa Rica are expensive though.

Cheers Alan, superb photo.

Any further site details required or is it just at onsite feeders or flowers?
It's a bit of a divesrion from our planned route but probably do'able.

A

On site feeders and flowers, - the best BBH for pictures was in the small garden to the right of the main buildings, on natural flowers. It's a very small area - I did it after La Selva I think.

cheers, alan

Thanks for this Niels, J Hornbuckle paid $30 in 2014, that's a steep hike in price.

Andrew, yes, Black-bellied, Hummer, it's also the only place I have for this bird.

Cheers, A

Check ebird whenever you have that type of questions. Hit explore data, then species map

Niels

Check ebird whenever you have that type of questions. Hit explore data, then species map

Niels

Thanks again Niels,
though I haven't finished my quick reference site guide to the places on my itinerary yet, the gardens are also the only place I have so far for Scintillant Hummer.

A

Yeah, Black-bellied also easy at Catarata del Toro (although there are times when they are absent, maybe in the wet season?). Also, pretty easy at Tapanti.
Don't count on getting the Scintillant there, it's easier at Savegre and other middle elevations sites in the Talamancas like Toucanet Lodge.
Waterfall Gardens- yep, pricey and good if you want to see several birds and animals in a zoo setting. If not, then real need to visit. There are a few trails and they are alright but O. B. Antpitta is just as non-guaranteed there as it is at other sites for it (like Tapanti and El Copal). Most reliable site for it in CR is probably the trail to the San Gerardo station in the Monteverde area. If you do try the Waterfall Gardens, you might want to check for the antpitta on the Fern Trail, around the bridge in the ravine closest to the buildings- I had killer looks at it there in late December.

Yeah, Black-bellied also easy at Catarata del Toro (although there are times when they are absent, maybe in the wet season?). Also, pretty easy at Tapanti.
Don't count on getting the Scintillant there, it's easier at Savegre and other middle elevations sites in the Talamancas like Toucanet Lodge.
Waterfall Gardens- yep, pricey and good if you want to see several birds and animals in a zoo setting. If not, then real need to visit. There are a few trails and they are alright but O. B. Antpitta is just as non-guaranteed there as it is at other sites for it (like Tapanti and El Copal). Most reliable site for it in CR is probably the trail to the San Gerardo station in the Monteverde area. If you do try the Waterfall Gardens, you might want to check for the antpitta on the Fern Trail, around the bridge in the ravine closest to the buildings- I had killer looks at it there in late December.

Great stuff Pat, many thanks again.

Andy

Last edited:
We saw the Ochre-breasted Antipitta up at the Quebradas biological reserve in the Generale valley just outside San Isidro de EL General. It's run by a local community organization.
Last time I was there it was around six dollars per person.
Los Cosingos on the other hand has gone up to around twenty five dollars per. I'd still pay that as there are some very good birds there and Dr. Skutch's house has been restored right down to his typewriter.
Very good birding in those areas and not much tourism.
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back