• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head combo for ED50 (1 Viewer)

MK90

Always learning
I bought a Nikon ED50 last month as my first scope. Ive been using it as a handheld since then but am now looking for a tripod for it. I'd want this to be lightweight so it doesn't negate the benefits of having such a small scope. Also, i dont want to spend more than £120 on the whole set-up.

I've been looking at Velbon tripods and was hoping somebody with more experience could advice me on these two (or any others that ED50 owners use).

Velbon 200R Sherpa Tripod with PH157Q Panhead -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-200...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=21HS89M3EZB00QD2T6RS

Velbon Sherpa 100 Tripod with QHD-43D Ball and Socket Head -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZ7W18Y/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

A ball head can certainly work well with a small scope like the ED50. It's going to be more compact and lightweight than other types of head too. A heavier tripod will potentially be more stable, although it also somewhat negates the point of having a small, lightweight scope.

Hi MK, I use the Velbon 200R with my Pentax 65 scope. Great tripod and head, very stable and very good value for money, well worth the price on your link. Also used the tripod with a much heavier Celestron Regal scope without any problems, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I have heavier tripods and scopes, but for my ED50, I take the ultra-light approach.

Velbon Ultra 455 with a small ballhead (stock head is a ridiculous boat anchor), in my case the RRS BH-25 Pro.

--AP

I too am looking for a lightweight tripod for travel with a 50mm scope. Does anyone have experience of the Benro TSL08CN00 carbon fibre tripod?

I realise it's rather short for someone of 6ft but it'd be used for hand luggage only trips to Europe where I rarely use a scope. It gets very good reviews and will easily fit in hand luggage.

Steve

I too am looking for a lightweight tripod for travel with a 50mm scope. Does anyone have experience of the Benro TSL08CN00 carbon fibre tripod?

I realise it's rather short for someone of 6ft but it'd be used for hand luggage only trips to Europe where I rarely use a scope. It gets very good reviews and will easily fit in hand luggage.

Steve

I've not used that one but have used another Benro tripod, which was fine. I think their stuff is generally pretty decent quality and gets favourable reviews.

Steve

I'll also chime in and say that I don't know that tripod, but I do own a set of Benro short legs for a 100mm ball head for cine use, and it's quite well made and very very sturdy, esp considering the weight. The adjustable leg angle locks are a clever design and they look to be the same as used on the tripod you're looking at.

I just received a different travel tripod you might consider, the Manfrotto Befree 'Advanced,' with their #494 ball head. I got the CF version on sale for only a little more than the aluminum one. More money than the Benro, but smaller (closed), about 1/2 lb heavier, and apparently sturdier..as they claim it'll handle up to 17.6 lbs. That seems excessive but for any scope or less than Hasselblad sized stills camera I'm confident it would be fine. Make sure you're balanced of course!

I am trying it out with the little Kowa TSN-501 scope, which is not even putting the 'sticks' to a test. The ball head locks easily and exactly so no worries about 'losing' the target when locking it off. I'll give it a week or so, and am going to test it out with a heavier load (Sony A7RIII with a long zoom, etc.) but unless a problem shows up will keep it whether the Kowa stays or not.

BTW the Manfrottos apparently come with either twist or lever locks on the legs; mine has the latter which I feel are quicker.

Benro seems to make good stuff as do Manfrotto; I think you'll have something satisfactory with either make.

Last edited:
I use the Sirui VA-5 fluid pan head ($150, 1.3 lb / 0.6 kg), and Sirui T2205X tripod ($340, 2.6 lb / 1.2 kg) with my Opticron MM4. It's a very nice combo, i think.

The VA-5 accepts standard arca swiss quick release. I use the RRS B26 ($50, 1.1 oz / 32 g) plate as it has the video pin to prevent rotation.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back