• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn Passage in Catalunya (1 Viewer)

We went to Tarragona's Parc de la Ciutat late afternoon. Plenty of House Martins over for a few minutes after arrival. Lots of Blackcaps and what might have been a Spectacled Warbler.

37. Robin, Parc de la Ciutat.

One of the nice things about birding in Spain at this time of year is that it is nearly 06:445 and it is still too dark for meaningful bird watching. We have to be in Barcelona by 11:00 for the Diada so I have time for a shower etc. before getting a chair onto our tiny balcony. Hopefully there will be more raptors today.

07:35 and just about light enough. First birds of the day where 8 Spotless Starlings that flew right over my balcony. YL Gull as I type.

38. Spotless Starling, Hotel Plaça de la Font.

Lots more Starlings than yesterday, all heading E/NE. The first Crag Martin and a distant large raptor inland which by silhouette when gliding could have been Honey Buzzard.

A few birds from the train to Barcelona.

39. Grey Heron, Tarragona railway station.
40. Coot, Els Muntanyans reserve, Torredembarra.
41. Dabchick, Els Muntanyans reserve, Torredembarra..

Another grim morning in Tarragona, unless you are one of those tourists who like peerless blue skies and temperatures in the low 20s. The massed grallers and drummmers have just played a rousing version of what I think was Toc de Matinades and I suspect will be off around the city as a prelude to today's excitement. Just pigeons so far.

A falcon just whizzed by at eye level that I'm pretty certain was a peregrine. I reckon the pigeons thought so too. They're still sitting tight on rooftops.

I doubt that this is vindication, but a Peregrine just had a try for a pigeon over towards the sea, a patch of which is visible from the balcony.

43. Peregrine, Hotel Plaça de la Font.

Two large raptors even further away then a Honey Buzzard pretty much over the square and apparently accompanied by numerous hirundines and Alpine Swifts.

Best view so far of a Honey Buzzard, along the coast, closer than most and beautifully lit. Selfishly I'd like a large,, identifiable raptor that isn't buzzardy. Time is against me. The sun will soon be round the front of the hotel and I can hear the shower running.

This could be interesting. After three delightfully sunny mornings there's almost 100% cloud cover, with black clouds over the sea. Perhaps bird behaviour will change. I'll give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back