• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted Woodpecker vs White-backed Woodpecker, Harbin, China (1 Viewer)

paulrbyler

I went out today and spotted a woodpecker and got some got looks but no photos. I spotted him in a park. He definitely had a red nape, but a totally black crown. But the belly was very buff colored with no streaks. According to Mark Brazils guide the White-backed can have a buffy belly, but not the Great Spotted. However it also shows the the White-backed doesn't have only a red nape, but a crown as well, except for the female which has a totally black crown. Also there was absolutely no streaking on the belly anywhere I could see. I feel pretty confident it was a Great Spotted as the red nape and black crown was very visible through the binos but am confused about the buff colored belly.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back