• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which bin would you buy again. (1 Viewer)

CliveP

A sort of retake on what is your favourite bin. Not sure what the difference is in the question but I find myself thinking that say if I trashed my Kowa 8x32 SV would I buy another or search for something better and for me I think I'd want another of these pretty damn quick because it has a special something that just works for me and somehow can give me more wow moments than even my more expensive pairs and it's not about ultimate clarity or whatever. For me these give me amazing views of scenery and especially birds in flight are fantastic as it's so easy to keep them in view and you can almost study the feathers as the image is so clean and composed. It's almost freaky at times but absolutely great and they are super to hold and handle etc etc. I just got a new Hawke Sapphire 8x43 and undoubtedly it is a bit sharper and more vibrant but it's the mixture of the ingredients with the Kowa that seems to come together in a way that I prefer and they don't cost a lot relatively speaking which helps. My M7 10x30 is also a favourite and I would probably not hesitate to buy that again either. I'm still considering my opinion of my new Sapphire whether it qualifies in the has something special department but normally I can tell pretty much immediately whether it gets to me or not. My old Sapphire definitely did so it shows that even getting a new version of the same bin is not always a straightforward thing either.

Just curious about similar experiences others have or have had like this.

Last edited:
I am on my second pair of Minox 10x 42. I have had great service from them and love their lifetime guarantee.
Not the best Bins but they do a great job for the money if one does not have the budget for Leica or Swarowski.

Agree absolutely. These Kowa definitely prove to me that a huge budget isn't necessarily needed to get really great enjoyment.

I think there is a difference between what one might think is the best and what they would buy again. After you use something a while you better appreciate all aspects of the experience and you can better judge the value against your real beliefs and needs, not to mention those may change with time as does your use-cases.

That said so far thanks to this group I would certainly buy the Nikon 8x30 EII again as it's a great all rounder and surprisingly compact for a porro design. It is not my favorite for relatively close viewing however.

I would buy again the Canon 10x42 L IS WP binocular as I see no alternatives yet. It is my favorite, but I recognize its weight and size sometimes are a factor. I will likely try the new 12x model soon just for even more magnification, I don't expect it will replace the 10x42, but I won't know until I try it.

If I had different budget constraints at the time, my answers may be different. I don't regret the Sightron BSII, or the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 (I'm warming more to this one), but they are currently redundant to me in some ways. Price/Value here is a big factor these were $200 or under, but that value may not be available at the time of repurchase.

Still getting to know the Swarovski Pocket CL 8x, with my addition of a IPDS and o-rings they seems to be working quite well and fit the purpose I bought them for really well. It would be nice to compare them to the 10x one day. So on this one I'm yet undecided, but I've only had them less than a month I believe.

On my others I'm pretty sure I don't have any attachment to them that would make me repurchase them.

Last edited:
I did buy a replacement RSPB waterproof porro 8x42 after using the first to break up a solid floor. Of all I have used it fits my hands perfectly, the balance is excellent and the view is good. As a wp it does have a tight focussing action. It is not my 'best' binocular, but it is certainly one of my favourites.

A sort of retake on what is your favourite bin. Not sure what the difference is in the question but I find myself thinking that say if I trashed my Kowa 8x32 SV would I buy another or search for something better and for me I think I'd want another of these pretty damn quick because it has a special something that just works for me and somehow can give me more wow moments than even my more expensive pairs and it's not about ultimate clarity or whatever. For me these give me amazing views of scenery and especially birds in flight are fantastic as it's so easy to keep them in view and you can almost study the feathers as the image is so clean and composed. It's almost freaky at times but absolutely great and they are super to hold and handle etc etc. I just got a new Hawke Sapphire 8x43 and undoubtedly it is a bit sharper and more vibrant but it's the mixture of the ingredients with the Kowa that seems to come together in a way that I prefer and they don't cost a lot relatively speaking which helps. My M7 10x30 is also a favourite and I would probably not hesitate to buy that again either. I'm still considering my opinion of my new Sapphire whether it qualifies in the has something special department but normally I can tell pretty much immediately whether it gets to me or not. My old Sapphire definitely did so it shows that even getting a new version of the same bin is not always a straightforward thing either.

Just curious about similar experiences others have or have had like this.
I would probably buy again every binocular I own. The SV 8x32, Canon 10x42 IS-L, Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA and the Nikon 8x30 EII. The Canon 10x42 IS-L gives me the best view of the bird I have ever seen so definitely that one. I would buy the Swarovski 8x32 SV for it's all around versatility, the Leica for it's toughness and the EII for it's huge FOV. Each binocular I own has it's strength's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back