• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 7x42 or Swarovision 8x50? (1 Viewer)

binomania

Swarovski SLC 7x42 or Swarovision 7x50?

Greetings from Italy. Last month on Binomania forum we started discussing the merits of 7x binoculars . After a few days I received some emails where Swarovski fans confirmed me to want an additional 7X catalog Austrian. Today, joking, I tweeted my request and Swarovski responded.
https://twitter.com/binomanianews/status/651390409596342272
Some of you would like to see a nice SLC 7x42 or 7x50 SWAROVISION? Do you like 7x binoculars for birding?

Ciao!
Piergiovanni

Last edited:
I would stick with the 7x42 over a 7x50.

I have the SLC 7x42B Neu. It was manufactured in 2006 and I think that was also the last year Swarovski made them although they were still selling them up till about 2012.

It would be a positive thing if Swarovski made one in their current SLC line because the 7x42B Neu is a pretty heavy binocular; over 30 ounces, and 7x fans could use another one to chose from since only Nikon and Leica are making 7x42s. Inexpensive 7x42 roof prism binoculars are even harder to come by but there seem to be a number of inexpensive 7x42 Porro prisms to choose from.

Bob

I suggest a 7.5x38 with a nice 5mm exit pupil, but in a smaller package than a 42mm bin,
it would be possible to make one weighing no more than 680 gram,
would be perfect and still have a reasonable mag.

I'll put in an order for a 8x32 SLC-HD, ... with close focus.

Ok, a 7x32 SLC-HD with close focus.

Ed

I think 7x42 is the best birding format there is. I use Zeiss FL 7x42s as my main binoculars.

I would absolutely love to see a new 7x42 model by Swarovski, Even more though I would like to see a 7x42 Zeiss SF.

If they can get 8.5* fov in an 8x, a 7x must be even wider, no? How about as wide as the Zen Ray 7x36 . 9.1* but with the SF view and wonderful ergos and balance to match.

I have never been tempted to buy the latest and greatest bins because they are all 8x or more. But a 7x SF might just temp me to shell out £2000.

I will vote for the x50 ....... only in a 9x magnification power!!

Yup! that's right ...... 9x50 SV :t:

And can I have it in a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic chassis, sub 850gram weight, with HT and Ultra FL glass, and 134m(400ft) + Fov :cat:

Oh, and if you can't match the high end Zeiss models for focus smoothness, speed, and accuracy, then seriously don't even bother putting ink to paper ......

Chosun :gh:

Why aren't there 7x35 roofs? Even porros are rare with this configuration (and a few are 6x30).

Just let go of the $ and get the 10X50 SV now, just think of all the time you'll loose waiting on your fantasy bin that ain't never gonna happen. You know you want it.3:)

And can I have it in a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic chassis, sub 850gram weight, with HT and Ultra FL glass, and 134m(400ft) + Fov :cat:

Oh, and if you can't match the high end Zeiss models for focus smoothness, speed, and accuracy, then seriously don't even bother putting ink to paper ......

400 ft is not 134 meters, it's only 122...

carbon fiber won't save much weight I'm a afraid, magnesium is most likely the best you can use in bins for the moment, to a reasonable cost.

I can't agree more with SuperDuty, there are some good bins out there that you miss out on, none of them is perfect, but a few is a true joy to look through, and that is what matters the most, IMO.

Just let go of the $ and get the 10X50 SV now, just think of all the time you'll loose waiting on your fantasy bin that ain't never gonna happen. You know you want it.3:)

Yeah SD, that 10x50SV is r - e - a - l close ..... but a 9x50 would give me that all important 5.6mm EP ..... :t:

400 ft is not 134 meters, it's only 122...

carbon fiber won't save much weight I'm a afraid, magnesium is most likely the best you can use in bins for the moment, to a reasonable cost.

I can't agree more with SuperDuty, there are some good bins out there that you miss out on, none of them is perfect, but a few is a true joy to look through, and that is what matters the most, IMO.

Dear God Vespo :eek!: didn't we just get through the whole metric to imperial schamozzle?!! :cat:

400ft IS 134m, becoz ...... the convention IS ft@1000yd = 3x m@1000m

Now, Puhlease don't confuse the issue any further! Thanx :t:

CFRP is becoming as cheap as chips and routinely used in all sorts of industries ..... only bino world seems intent on living in the horse and cart era .......

Dear God Vespo :eek!: didn't we just get through the whole metric to imperial schamozzle?!! :cat:

400ft IS 134m, becoz ...... the convention IS ft@1000yd = 3x m@1000m

Now, Puhlease don't confuse the issue any further! Thanx :t:

CFRP is becoming as cheap as chips and routinely used in all sorts of industries ..... only bino world seems intent on living in the horse and cart era .......

yep, not being sloppy with units tend to be rather important, by convention,
;)

CFRP vs magnesium chart:

Attachments

• A51BF09A1CBD40B89ABBE0DE7E4FE8C5.png
    A51BF09A1CBD40B89ABBE0DE7E4FE8C5.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back