• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 500mm lenses (1 Viewer)

I have only once been in a position where reach was to much. All my other experinces was it was to little.

I am fortunate enough to have a 400f2.8 and with a converter it puts me at 550f4. Thats about how good it gets for me.

As a carry around lens I use the 300mmf4 with 1.4TC.

I can ask for no better combo.

Regards

It's what makes you happy that's all that matters !

I'm surprised that you have only ever once been in a situation where you have had too much reach though.Using an FX body would enable you to get more of the subject on the sensor as it got closer, on a recent trip to the gambia I found that my 300mm was too much with a DX D300s on quite a few occasions. On the other hand only last Saturday I was in an hide with a friend and he couldn't focus on the near perches as they were too close for his 500mm as they were only 7 or 8 feet away.Minimum focus distance is over 10 feet.
cheers Dave

The VR went faulty on my 300mm 2.8 so I sent it back to Nikon for repair via the Belfast Calumet store. Nikon charged me £320 to fix it, supplying a new VR component. An expensive repair, you'd think Nikon would provide better than a one year warranty on a lens costing nearly £4000.

Richard

The VR went faulty on my 300mm 2.8 so I sent it back to Nikon for repair via the Belfast Calumet store. Nikon charged me £320 to fix it, supplying a new VR component. An expensive repair, you'd think Nikon would provide better than a one year warranty on a lens costing nearly £4000.

Richard

Thats appalling Richard.Earlier in this thread a 5 year warranty was mentioned but I have just bought new 70-200mm f2.8VR and that states quite clearly that it's only covered for 1 year in the UK.How come the USA get 5 years and we don't ? I believe the E.U. are looking at making 2 year warranties compulsory for many items though.
My D300s has a 2 year warranty and I have just sent it back to get the rubber grip reglued. I got my D200 out yesterday and noticed the grip is coming away from that and that has been back for repair twice !
cheers Dave

What sort of cost is an independent 5 year warranty? I recently bought a Nikkor PC-E 24mm lens for architectural & landscape photography. It has lots of knobs and fiddly bits so it may be prone to problems later on.

I cant say the 400/2.8 is versatile as its too heavy so having used the 300/2.8vr its a much better all rounder, yes I too have the 2 Nikon TC's but I cant ignore that a straight 600/4 has to be better than my 400 with a TC. A friend with a 1.4 on his 600 is always going to be better off than me with with a 400 and 2x tc.

Cant argue with that..... I just happened to pick up a 2nd hand sterling 400f2.8 at a very good price. If a 600f4 was available at that price I would have bought it.... The 300f4 with converter is perfect for walkabouts, also nice to shoot dragonflies etc....

I am content for now.....Maybe when Nikon releases D400xxxx whatever I may consider a new body.

All the best

I have just bought the lens Nikkor 500mm F4 P (manual focus) together with TC 301. Could you help me with the link to the user manual for the lens please? I have tried it on the Nikon site, but they do not have this manual for download. Thank you!

Best regards,

Elena

I have just bought the lens Nikkor 500mm F4 P (manual focus) together with TC 301. Could you help me with the link to the user manual for the lens please? I have tried it on the Nikon site, but they do not have this manual for download. Thank you!

Best regards,

Elena

Is there one? Its a long time since I bought mine and I do not remember receiving a manual, or even a leaflet. I will have to get the case out of storage and check, just in case.
Being a manual lens, there is not much to it, but if you are looking for advice, feel free to ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back