• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro SLCneu 8x30????? (1 Viewer)

jgraider

What do you guys think of this "older" generation of glass, specifically the SLCneu version? I've handled one before, didn't mind the front focuser thing, but was wondering what the optics compare to nowadays? Thanks!

The SLC NEU series are the last unconditionally satisfactory binoculars Swarovski built. I sincerely think you would be very pleased should you decide to acquire one.

Opinion.

I've never owned the Swarovski 8x30 SLC (had the Leica 8x32 BA and later the Zeiss 8x32 FL instead), but I've had many opportunities to use them and compare them to the competition. I like them a lot optically, though not as much as the 8x32 Swarovision (which I reject for its size) with its sharp-to-the-edges wider field and better eye relief. I'd say the optics and viewing comfort (e.g. eye relief) of the SLC are as good as the more compact 8x32s (that I prefer for their size), which is to say not my ideal but acceptable and very functional. I'm not too bothered by the focus knob position. I use my index and middle finger to focus by shifting my hand forward on (and partly beyond) the bin. I generally place one hand in front of the other on bins, so that grip doesn't seem unnatural to me.

My biggest gripes with the 8x30 SLC are its length (versus offerings from Leica and Zeiss) and its close focus. It doesn't pack the way I want an 8x32 to pack, and since I generally only use this format for travel, pack dimensions are important. Close focus for butterflying is 10 ft or even more, which is quite poor.

--AP

I received the "new to me" 2005 vintage 8x30 SLCneu a few days ago. It is in great shape having just returned from Swaro for a tune up. After fiddling with them a while using the MOLCET (?) technique, I was impressed with the sharp to near the edge view, great contrast and sharpness, and the smooth (for Swaro) focus mechanism. The obvious glaring weakness as Alexis pointed out is the close focus spec, which I find accurate.

I did however remember my spare set of winged eyecups that came with my 10x50SV, so I put them on the 8x30, along with an app 2mm rubber gasket underneath for additional eye relief. It worked beautifully, and I am always amazed how much stray light from the side can over power an image. With the addition of the wings the image really is impressive, and the ER is now very comfortable. I also like the ergos of this glass very much. I think I may have finally found a serviceable 8x30 class glass that I enjoy using, without fighting for a great view.

Thanks again for all of the help.

I purchased the last version of the 8x30 SLC B. Its SN dates it 2010.

I liked it except I found its 15mm ER to be slightly short for me although I do not wear glasses. I could get along with it using a MOLCET technique but I preferred using my Nikon 8x32 LX L. Its slightly longer ER was more comfortable for me. I had also purchased the newest (2011) version of the Kahles 8x32 and I liked its longer 16mm ER better than the Swarovski. All three of the above binoculars had about the same FOV.

I ended up giving the Swarovski to my older son. He wears glasses and he likes it very much; whether he is using it with, or without his glasses. I also let him try my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B which I also offered to him and he liked that one too but preferred the lighter weight 8x30 SLC B.

Bob

Last edited:
I do not wear glasses, so the simple rubber gasket worked great in my situation. As a matter of fact in most every 8x32 class glass I've tried I have had eye relief issues.

JG:

Good to hear you are getting along good with your new purchase. They are a very nice
binocular, and I think you will appreciate it more as you use it.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back