• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA-Possible Snow x Ross's Goose Hybrid in Delaware; suggestions and comments needed. (1 Viewer)

timshrek

I had a possible Snow x Ross's Goose Hybrid along Whitehall Neck Rd. near Bombay Hook NWR this afternoon. The bird showed characteristics of both species. The overall size favored Snow Goose, but the lack of grin patch, smaller/stouter bill, and a limited amount of rusty color on the head favored Ross's Goose. I'm open for suggestions on the identification of this bird. Photos can be seen here: http://www.thermalbirding.com/2012/12/possible-snow-x-rosss-goose-hybrid-near-bombay-hook-nwr/

Thanks,

Tim Schreckengost

I'm not sure if you're looking at the correct bird. In the last photo, the bird is looking straight towards the camera. In the second photo, the bird in question is directly behind the Snow Goose in front.

Looks very small/delicate billed for a normal Snow Goose but too big over all for Ross's so could well be a cross of the two.

I'm not sure if you're looking at the correct bird. In the last photo, the bird is looking straight towards the camera. In the second photo, the bird in question is directly behind the Snow Goose in front.

You're right, I was looking at the wrong bird. Now, that I've seen the right one, agree that it's probably a hybrid.

Last edited:
Hi, why not a pure Ross´s Goose? Note its head-shape, small bill with greyish base, unobstrusive grinning patch and quite straight border between beak and head-feathering compared to the young Snow Goose in foreground. I cant estimate body-size for sure but an alert bird can elongate its neck in this way I think.

Cheers f.

Attachments

• 2012-12-08-14.45.49.jpg
    2012-12-08-14.45.49.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 63
Hi, why not a pure Ross´s Goose? Note its head-shape, small bill with greyish base, unobstrusive grinning patch and quite straight border between beak and head-feathering compared to the young Snow Goose in foreground. I cant estimate body-size for sure but an alert bird can elongate its neck in this way I think.

Cheers f.

In the field, the bird appeared to be be the size of a Snow Goose. All of the bill characteristics definitely favor Ross's, but the size just isn't right. I would think a Ross's would be significantly smaller even in a photo. Thanks for your input!

I'd want more than just size to identify it as a hybrid. There's a lot of variation in size among Ross's Geese (as with any other species of goose) and a very large individual may well appear to be close to Snow Goose in size. Not saying it's definitely not a hybrid, but if size is the only indicator then I'd say that wasn't a safe identification.

Hi, for my part I can´t see hybrid-features in head-shape and bill-properties. I can´t see any black margined grinning patch, the bill-base is very straight and the bill-size screams Ross´s here in my point of view. As Dave told there is a lot of variation in size of Geese - a big male Ross´s? Imagine the Snow in the 2. pic stretches its neck - it would appear much taller with a significant larger head. B :)

Cheers - f.

While there is a lot of variation in size in geese, Ross's Geese are tiny, even smaller than Brant or Cackling Geese. I've seen them in mixed flocks, and it's easy to pick out the Ross's Geese by size alone. I'm sure that if Tim says it was the same size as the surrounding Snow Geese, then it's probably not a pure Ross's Goose.

While the bill looks good for a Ross's Goose, the head shape seems to be intermediate between the two, a bit flatter then a Ross's should show. I think it's likely a hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back