• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80-400mm update this week? (1 Viewer)

The Canon folks are begging for an update of the 100-400 f/5.6. It's a good lens - but ready for a revision.

The new 80-400 looks to be a nice upgrade. Yes it's expensive, but it's priced at a premium to the Sigma 50-500 as you would expect. Optics are going to be quite good, but still not a 300 f/4 or 200-400 f/4. Still - for a zoom it's moderately above the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I don't think the price is unexpected.

I have the 300 f/4 and TC20E III. I am very reluctant to use that combination due to the drop in image quality. Same with the 70-200 and 2.0 teleconverter. They are excellent with the 1.4, and passable with the 1.7 and 2.0 but its not the level of sharpness that is acceptable for every day use.

The 80-400 is a lot cheaper and easier to carry than the 200-400. Image quality is going to be superior to third party alternatives - as with most other new Nikors. And AF will be good - and much improved. For occasional use, the 1.4 teleconverter is a viable option.

This is a much needed update to put Nikon back in the game in the 400-500mm range. They really have not had a product for several years. If you want top image quality in a small, hand-holdable tele-zoom, this is a good option. I would not count on price discounts any time soon unless there is a currency advantage.

Keep an eye out for a 300 f/4 AFS VR in our future. Look for very good optics, VR, and a price tag of $2000 or so.

I'm not happy about the price but the last RRP of the Nikkor 400mm f5.6 AIS IF-ED manual focus lens was also £2,500 way back when.

The Canon folks are begging for an update of the 100-400 f/5.6. It's a good lens - but ready for a revision.

Yep, the 100-400L design is what, 20 years old now? That lens was designed before DLSRs were even invented, so I don't believe it can be optimised for use with one.

I had one and didn't get on with it, in fact I noticed a big improvement by switching to a 70-300L. I think a 100-400 with the same technology as the 70-300L would be very good... It would also be a lot more than the current 100-400 price i suspect.

So, it's probably not fair to compare the "new" Nikon with the "old" 100-400 price

There is a review here: http://photographylife.com/nikon-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6g-vs-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6d but this is still only "on paper"

seems that there are some important differences from the previous lens - not just the AF-S, but significant redesign of lenses and some "super ED glass", plus internal focusing. The MTF charts (which I have not tried to understand!) are apparently significantly better for this lens than it's predecessor.

Seems it only has VRII rather than VRIII which is a bit surprising.

I guess we have to wait to see how it performs in the flesh.

Last edited:
Well, we've all now read the Nikon/fanboi hype, here's how I see it in practice. Super ED element - good if you still use film, otherwise software will take out most of the chromatic aberration. Shorter minimum focus - good thing apart from the focus breathing which means that the 400mm becomes 250mm at minimum focus. I use a Canon 500D close filter on my old 80-400mm, works very well.

Bad - heavier than the old one. Longer than the old one.

AF-S , good in one way, faster focusing but my old one kept up with 600mph fast jets. Bad - AF-S motors seem more unreliable IMO.

Able to take a TC1.4 - good, well this will make it an effective 560mm for FX and 840mm on DX. If you're thinking of hand holding a lens for Birds in Flight (BIF) at 840mm you have to pretty good at predicting the bird's flight path. You will have to keep it dead centre for about a second if you want the AF to function properly. If you choose the crop mode of the D7100, this combo will be approx 1100mm f8 at 15.3 MP. Pixel peep those photos! If you want sharp photos, you'll have to use a high shutter speed - less than 1/2000th and the VR won't help then. Nikon say above 1/500th, switch VR off.

That said, some will get better photos because they have a steady hand and shoot a lot. I'll see what Canon come up with before I make a decision on this lens.

Super ED element - good if you still use film, otherwise software will take out most of the chromatic aberration.
I agree with you. However, it is not correct to say that ED elements are unecessary because of CA removal software. First of all ED elements do not remove CA like software. ED elements are preventing it from happening. If your lens suffers from CA, all that even the best software can do is to mask out the ugly purple fringing. Software can never return sharpness and contrast to the image. Also I don't think there is software that can remove longitudinal chromatic aberration.

So no matter how good your software is, it is always better to have lens that does not suffer from CA (has ED glass).

Last edited:
Pre-order

The new lens is available on pre-order from the USA but I agree with the comments here, quite expensive but The AF works even when a 1.4x teleconverter is attached to a f/8-compatible camera which is very useful!

OK, from my time with the old 80-400mm CA has not been a big problem, probably due to the ED elements in the design, maybe someone will test them both to see if the new super ED element makes a big difference.

Forgot to comment on nano coating, this IMO is good but the benefits could be cancelled out as there's now 20 elements instead of 17.

The new 80-400 looks to be a nice upgrade. Yes it's expensive, but it's priced at a premium to the Sigma 50-500 as you would expect. Optics are going to be quite good, but still not a 300 f/4 or 200-400 f/4. Still - for a zoom it's moderately above the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I don't think the price is unexpected.

I have the 300 f/4 and TC20E III. I am very reluctant to use that combination due to the drop in image quality. Same with the 70-200 and 2.0 teleconverter. They are excellent with the 1.4, and passable with the 1.7 and 2.0 but its not the level of sharpness that is acceptable for every day use.

The 80-400 is a lot cheaper and easier to carry than the 200-400. Image quality is going to be superior to third party alternatives - as with most other new Nikors. And AF will be good - and much improved. For occasional use, the 1.4 teleconverter is a viable option.

This is a much needed update to put Nikon back in the game in the 400-500mm range. They really have not had a product for several years. If you want top image quality in a small, hand-holdable tele-zoom, this is a good option. I would not count on price discounts any time soon unless there is a currency advantage.

Keep an eye out for a 300 f/4 AFS VR in our future. Look for very good optics, VR, and a price tag of $2000 or so.

Very valid points. If it is like the new 70-200mm f4.0 it will be very sharp. I think this could be a most interesting lens, especially the option to use a 1.4x converter, provided you are willing to foot the bill.

There is a review here: http://photographylife.com/nikon-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6g-vs-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6d but this is still only "on paper"

seems that there are some important differences from the previous lens - not just the AF-S, but significant redesign of lenses and some "super ED glass", plus internal focusing. The MTF charts (which I have not tried to understand!) are apparently significantly better for this lens than it's predecessor.

Seems it only has VRII rather than VRIII which is a bit surprising.

I guess we have to wait to see how it performs in the flesh.

Hi,
I'm not sure there really are three generations of VR.
The latest Nikon advertising FX booklet at the Focus in Imaging states that VR is now 2nd generation with 5 stops advantage. In model names the VR type is not stated. For instance the VR in the 500mm f4 is second generation but called VR,

I think this means the new lens might have the latest 5 stop VR.

Found an even better price at B&H Photo for the original version 80-400 lens.

Probably a good time to buy that one, the new one way too expensive ;)

Spamming the forums today with hidden affiliate links Birdman7? Everyone tryiing to get paid now it seems:(

Is it allowed to put links in Birdforum at the same time getting paid ? Can anyone clarify ?

I saw few thread with affiliate links by Birdman7 ...

Shame none of the high res links work. He seems to overlook the extra length and weight of the new lens. It's the £2,500 price that cripples it for me. If the D400 ever show up, they would make a great combination otherwise I'll seriously consider the Canon 7D2 and new 100-400mm.

7d2 & 100-400l

Shame none of the high res links work. He seems to overlook the extra length and weight of the new lens. It's the £2,500 price that cripples it for me. If the D400 ever show up, they would make a great combination otherwise I'll seriously consider the Canon 7D2 and new 100-400mm.

That looks like a very good setup potentially, im also keeping as eye out as a backup to my 1D4. Perhaps the new 100-400L is also good enough to replace my 400L F5.6 and I hope it wont have the silly zoom pull -lock mechanism, I hated it.

The UK price is way too high - period. It should be around £2000.- to £2100.-

The way Canon prices are skyrocketing - the new 500 mm f4.0 or the 200-400mm f4.0, are both > 10'000 $, I will not expect the new Canon 100-400L to be significantly cheaper than the Nikon lens.

As much as I like the 7D - problem is - like many Nikon users - I have invested too much in a lens / body park to switch brands - likewise for Canon users - its an expensive rut - and they know it.

That said, there is still a big gap in the Nikon lineup to compete head on with the 7D. Maybe there will a D400 after all.

Brands

The UK price is way too high - period. It should be around £2000.- to £2100.-

The way Canon prices are skyrocketing - the new 500 mm f4.0 or the 200-400mm f4.0, are both > 10'000 $, I will not expect the new Canon 100-400L to be significantly cheaper than the Nikon lens.

As much as I like the 7D - problem is - like many Nikon users - I have invested too much in a lens / body park to switch brands - likewise for Canon users - its an expensive rut - and they know it.

That said, there is still a big gap in the Nikon lineup to compete head on with the 7D. Maybe there will a D400 after all.

Thats a sensible decision. I always advise my clients to stick with their brands and learn to use their cameras. Manufacturers up each other every now and then so you can always upgrade to the next body or lens in the future without sacrificing the whole lot, its a pointless and expensive procedure.

Just received my new lens from mathers .
First 2 are bare and second 2 with 1.4 ex.
Very pleased as it seems as sharp if not sharper than my 300 f4 . It definitely is with the extender .
All taken with my d800 .

Attachments

• _DSC1093a.jpg
    _DSC1093a.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 241
  • _DSC1097.jpg
    _DSC1097.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 221
  • _DSC1103a.jpg
    _DSC1103a.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 224
  • _DSC1132a.jpg
    _DSC1132a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 217
Nice pics. Have you tested its VR efficacy? Theoretically, a pure 4-stop VR would enable you to handhold the lens down to about 1/25s on your FX camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back