• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best time to bird southern Florida (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

I am looking at coming November to March for a few weeks.
-more birds
-less bugs
this may be a contradiction
-less crowds

I will spend most of my time in SW area
would like to camp with RV in state parks

does it make a difference?

thanks,
edj

December and January will have the less bugs with a peak in winter bird diversity. It never gets very cold (frost is very rare in Miami, only twice in the past 30 years). Although you've decided to stay in the SW (which is excellent for a day of shorebirding), the SE corner has far more diversity during this time, including many western strays, Caribbean specialties, and 20+ species of wintering warbler which the SW just does not get.

Carlos

Yes gotta agree with Carlos. Much better opportunity on east coast during that time We get some good stuff on west coast but not as much as se florida. Would start at Merritt island and work your way down east coast. Make reservations early for state parks as its peak snowbird time of year and spots can be hard to find

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back