• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Woodcock on 35th Street (1 Viewer)

sevrinanne

Hello,

This is my very first post in the birdforum and I'm excited to be able to share a very unusual siting. I believe I saw an American Woodcock on 35th street tonight around 9:15 PM. It was resting on the sidewalk, but was unmistakable for the very long two tone beak, and the low proximity to the ground. My friend and I happened upon it while walking and talking and, being concerned, began to very slowly approach. I was happy when it flew off with pidgeon like flight to the west. We were within three feet, and I'm enough of a birder to be able to recognize an unusual siting, but not enough of one to be able to decipher if it was the woodcock or Wilson's Snipe. Although, it appears that Wilson's Snipe rests taller. This was almost touching the ground. I thought maybe it was sick, but it seems they lay low like that and are solitary, so perhaps it was just resting.

If anyone has any experience or migratory information, or any corrections at all, I would be glad to hear them.

And hello to all my fellow birders!

Sevrin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back