• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

ID : Eupeodes corollae

Hello,

This was seen yesterday at Exminster Marshes in Devon. I have it down as Eupeodes corollae. Would that be good?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• hoverflyreduxs01.JPG
    hoverflyreduxs01.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 52
  • hoverflyreduxs02.JPG
    hoverflyreduxs02.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 54
Astonished - How common is this?

Sitting in the garden today. A couple of hoverflies around, I held up a finger arm outstrechted to a Hoverfly and after a few comings and goings it came very close to my finger and then landed. It stayed there for about 10-15 seconds, then as I moved my finger slightly toward me it left.

It was quite a moment and I felt honoured, is this common?
Jamie

Hi there

Love your words of wisdom here...everyone

This photo was taken on Saturday just past at Fen Drayton Lakes, and I would love to know what this beauty is?

Thank you

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 77
Hi Kathy,
looks to me like a Honey Bee [Apis mellifera]. But hard to be sure from the angle of the shot.
Cheers,
Steve.
Hi there

Love your words of wisdom here...everyone

This photo was taken on Saturday just past at Fen Drayton Lakes, and I would love to know what this beauty is?

Thank you

Regards
Kathy
x

Sitting in the garden today. A couple of hoverflies around, I held up a finger arm outstrechted to a Hoverfly and after a few comings and goings it came very close to my finger and then landed. It stayed there for about 10-15 seconds, then as I moved my finger slightly toward me it left.

It was quite a moment and I felt honoured, is this common?
Jamie

Never happened to me Jamie :eek:)

Hi Kathy,
looks to me like a Honey Bee [Apis mellifera]. But hard to be sure from the angle of the shot.
Cheers,
Steve.

Thank you Steve

Still new at this and will have some more photos this year for sure. Love to know about this subject area

Regards
Kathy
x

Hoverfly I/D

Can anyone please I/D these two hoverflies? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
  • I3 Hoverfly Uffmoor Wood 08-04.JPG
    I3 Hoverfly Uffmoor Wood 08-04.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 54
I'm just sorting through some photos from last summer and wondered what this hoverfly is. This group is one I'm hoping to get into this summer, but as a beginner I'm finding the keys in Stubbs and Falk tricky to use. Hopefully, things will get easier with practice! In the meantime, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• hover1.jpg
    hover1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 51
  • hover2.jpg
    hover2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 56
I'm just sorting through some photos from last summer and wondered what this hoverfly is. This group is one I'm hoping to get into this summer, but as a beginner I'm finding the keys in Stubbs and Falk tricky to use. Hopefully, things will get easier with practice! In the meantime, any help would be appreciated.

Syrphus

Stubbs & Falk is not constructed to allow identification of photos. You need to take specimens and key them under microscope, or at least with a hand lens. once you have learnt them this way then field/photo identification becomes possible in many cases.

Thanks Ficedula. That's good news - I'd provisionally keyed it out and ended up with Syrphus ribesii based on the yellow hind femora but then saw the plate and thought i'd made a mistake. The part of the key I found tricky was assessing the squama - especially as I had never even heard this term before yesterday. As a completely new group to me, knowing if I was even in the right area of the keys was the vital thing.

Hello,

I have a late one. This hoverfly species was seen at Dawlish Warren on the 7th April 2011. I have it down tentatively as Sphaerophoria scripta and wanted to ask if that would be right?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• scripta01.JPG
    scripta01.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 48
  • scriptae01.JPG
    scriptae01.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 43
Photographed at Napton Reservoir on 04/05/2011. Not one I've encountered before.

Attachments

• napton 37.jpg
    napton 37.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back