• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Field Pro 8x32 worth £350 more than the previous model? (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
Having decided to buy a quality pair of Binos I initially thought of Leica but have now settled on Swarovski. My only problem now is about price (I am born and bred Yorkshire and its in the blood!!) The best price I can find for Swarovski 8x32 is £1475. The older SV seems to sell at approx £1100. What would you choose? Is there a good reason to spend the extra money

Last edited:
Mike .... There are three versions of the 8X32 (and 10X32) double hinge Swaro EL.

The oldest does not have lens flatteners and was discontinued in 2012. It was replaced in the spring of 2012 with the Swaro EL SV. The SV stands for Swarovision and is the a flat field design. The Swaroviski 8X32 EL SV (and 10X32) was replaced by the Swarovski EL SV ProField during the fall of 2015. It is optically the same as the prior EL SV, but has a different strap attachment system, different armoring and clip on objective covers.

If you are comparing the ProField to the original non SV version EL, then the ProField is a noticeable improvement and in my opinion, worth the extra money. If you are comparing the Profield to the prior non ProField EL SV, then it comes down to personal preference for the non optical changes. I prefer the non ProField strap set up and bought a couple of the non ProField models for a considerable savings and did not lose anything optically.

Keep in mind that not all folks consider Swarovision to be an improvement. The biggest issue is a few folks see "rolling ball" in the SV models and find it unusable. There is a lot of variation between individuals and even the various SV models.

Having decided to buy a quality pair of Binos I initially thought of Leica but have now settled on Swarovski. My only problem now is about price (I am born and bred Yorkshire and its in the blood!!) The best price I can find for Swarovski 8x32 is £1475. The older SV seems to sell at approx £1100. What would you choose? Is there a good reason to spend the extra money

Hi Mike

Although I live in the deep south of Yorkshire, I am still affected by the same financial influences as you affluent folks way up north in Leeds.

The Field Pro models don't have any optical improvements only different accessories so you should be able to very quickly decide if they are worth it to you if you visit say In Focus at Denby Dale and take a look.

For myself I don't think Field Pro is worth the extra but really this is something you need to think about. I wouldn't think you would get the money back on resale for example, but you could ask In Focus about this.

Lee

I`v read many times that the Fieldpro is optically the same, but IMO and also Steve at SWOptics opinion, (as expressed to me), the Fpro does control flare/veiling glare better than the previous model, this alone makes it a better buy, the focus is improved, it has a lock on the diopter now, the armour is nicer IMO, and I love the strap mounting system.

Quite a jump in price but try the two together if you can and the improvements will be obvious IMHO.

Mike,

Although I did as Bruce (purchased Series II EL 8x32 SV for great savings last year), the current sales you mentioned for the FieldPro SV (series III) vs the original SV (series II) may be worth the 25% more. Recently I was able to demo the 8.5x42 SV FP for 10 days in the mountains and fields of Austria. The ergonomic updates (360 deg ergo strap attachment, smoother focus, grippe armor, lockable diopter, attached objective covers, appropriate sized carry case) on their own merit may not be worth it, but collectively they present a more refined and better excursion experience. All other birders in this trip used the 8x32 FP SV's, of which I could not detect any optical differences from my 8x32 SV's back home.

If possible (as Torview stated), try the 2 side-by-side to see if the changes are worth it to you. Swaro EL accessories are excellent, be it their older EL or the newest FieldPro models!

Ted

Many thanks for your helpful and informative advice gents it is really helpful. It's so good to have a forum like this where one can receive such expert and friendly advice.

The best price I can find for Swarovski 8x32 is £1475. The older SV seems to sell at approx £1100. What would you choose? Is there a good reason to spend the extra money

I don't see a difference between the view through the FieldPro 8x32 (#32208) and its immediate predecessor the Swarovision 8x32 (#32108), so the new-style strap attachment and the minor cosmetic tweaks aren't enough to make me want to part with real money to get the newer model. The Swarovision/FieldPro 8x32 is a superb binocular, in my opinion, but actually I prefer the view through the earlier 8x32 EL WB (#32008), the one without the field flattener; the earlier version shows some field curvature, and this gives the view a three-dimensional quality that the newer flat-field version doesn't have. Just my opinion, of course; a matter of personal preference.

Relative to controlling flare/veiling glare, can anyone opine whether the 8x32 Field Pro is better than its 8x32 EL SV predecessor? I love the wide angle view through the Series II 8x32 (never had the opportunity to compare it with the newer version), but the veiling glare was bothersome enough to me to keep me from spending the money to buy them. I own the EL SV 8.5x42 and love them, fwiw. Any insight will be appreciated.

-- Paul

Relative to controlling flare/veiling glare, can anyone opine whether the 8x32 Field Pro is better than its 8x32 EL SV predecessor? I love the wide angle view through the Series II 8x32 (never had the opportunity to compare it with the newer version), but the veiling glare was bothersome enough to me to keep me from spending the money to buy them. I own the EL SV 8.5x42 and love them, fwiw. Any insight will be appreciated.

-- Paul

I have the 8x32 SV, and it does everything just right for me.
I don't find any problem with flare, glare issues that some like
to complain about.

It seems the new FP model is just cosmetic, so I would not pay
extra for that feature. Some complain about the strap issues.

Jerry

to complain about.

Jerry

Glad it's not just me. I picked up a pair of 8x32 SV travelers on demo clearance and I've tried creating glare issues and just not seeing it.

This is pure conjecture on my part but could the age of an SV make a difference ?, my 8x32 was purchased as mint used from SWoptics, and as I`v posted before the veiling glare was truly dreadful, however I have no idea how old it was, I think the SV launched in 2010 so it could have been an early example.

Could Swaro have updated the baffling in the SV before they rolled out the FP due to the numerous complaints of poor stray light control ?, and could this be the reason some find no issue with glare in their examples ?.

Getting back to the OP`s question I firmly believe the FP offers more than a cosmetic upgrade, the focus action is very much better than any pre FP I tried, the tension is all but identical in both directions now and mine is buttery smooth, the best I`v tried on any SV, the change in armour also means that Swaro have fixed the problem of the focus catching against the armour in very hot weather, ( rarely a problem around Dartymoor ), which has been reported, the armour is sculpted and reduced in thickness around the focus wheel.

The locking diopter is a welcome touch, as are the attached objective caps if you use them, the rain guard is now flexible rubber rather than the horrid hard plastic articulated thing that came previously, also the new cord strap makes it hold out of place when using the binoculars much better than the earlier one did on the more usual web strap that was in use.

In fact the speed with which the strap can be taken off and put back on with the FP has totally won me over, and the 360 deg rotation makes me wonder why no one thought of it before, spend a few days with this system and I`ll bet you won`t want to return to threading a strap through lugs, rain guards and strap locks ever again.

to complain about.

Jerry

I have noticed veiling glare in the top Swaro scope but although I have tried the EL SV 8x32 several times at Bird Fair, looking straight towards sunlight reflecting off the lake there, I have never been troubled by excessive glare.

Lee

Relative to controlling flare/veiling glare, can anyone opine whether the 8x32 Field Pro is better than its 8x32 EL SV predecessor?
-- Paul

I haven't had time to post lately, but I've been following the glare issue in this thread. What I see is a range of opinions that run the gamut from "the veiling glare was truly dreadful" to "no glare or flare issues for me". As usual opinions differ, but there is a way to objectively determine whether a binocular shows the type of internal reflections that cause veiling glare, even if the glare isn't always seen by everyone (eye pupil size and positioning play a big role in actually seeing it). I photographed the internal reflections in a 2015 specimen of the 8x32 SV in this old thread.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308250

The 8x32 Field Pros can have less glare only if these reflections have been effectively baffled. If the same reflections are still there then nothing will have changed.

Last edited:
Thank you, Henry, for referencing your earlier thread and analysis of distortion and glare in the 8x32 EL SV. It does beg the question as to whether Swarovski has modified the internal baffling in the Field Pro model. Nothing I've read suggests that is the case; does anyone know whether this was done?

The Swiss Swarovski dealer where I buy my Swaro binoculars since many years informed me that beside the several changes on the outside (incl. strap, etc.), and a slight fine-tuning of the focus mechanism on certain models, the optics of the Field Pro edition were not changed in any model, and I understood this means also no differences in baffling.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to post lately, but I've been following the glare issue in this thread. What I see is a range of opinions that run the gamut from "the veiling glare was truly dreadful" to "no glare or flare issues for me". As usual opinions differ, but there is a way to objectively determine whether a binocular shows the type of internal reflections that cause veiling glare, even if the glare isn't always seen by everyone (eye pupil size and positioning play a big role in actually seeing it). I photographed the internal reflections in a 2015 specimen of the 8x32 SV in this old thread.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308250

The 8x32 Field Pros can have less glare only if these reflections have been effectively baffled. If the same reflections are still there then nothing will have changed.

Hello Henry.

This is not the 8x32 Field Pro, it's the 10x32. To me it does not look much different from your photo.

Attachments

• DSCN1951.JPG
    DSCN1951.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 147
Just to put a finish to the story. I bought the Field Pro 8x32 from the excelllent Bass and Bligh at Harrogate. Been out a couple of times with them and I am absolutely delighted. Many thanks for your advice and informed opinion.

Just to put a finish to the story. I bought the Field Pro 8x32 from the excelllent Bass and Bligh at Harrogate. Been out a couple of times with them and I am absolutely delighted. Many thanks for your advice and informed opinion.

:t: :D :clap: :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back