• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Charlie, it's been ten years since I lived in Somerset, but I'll reply in case no-one else does ...

Of course mid-Sept isn't the best time for Exmoor itself, but then you knew that. Wimbleball reservoir might turn up something, and it is quite a nice place to visit.
But I guess you'd be better heading up to the coast. Generally, the further east you go, into Bridgwater Bay, the more interesting it gets, but Porlock bay/marsh may be worth a look (and again, Porlock is good for a visit anyway).

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks Dave

I have just Googled Wimbleball, its massive. My wife will enjoy a walk around there, so a good excuse to go. Porlock and Porlock Weir were places I had intended to visit since I know someone in Porlock.

Well, that's 2 places now on my list to consider. Thanks again.

Regards Charlie

Dunster beach is worth a look if you are going to Porlock. A couple of hours before high tide is best. The beach is private so it is "pay and display" to park although you can park outside the entrance and walk in for free. If you are going to Porlock marsh then it is best to park in the National Trust car park at Bossington and walk down to the coast rather than park at Porlock Weir car park which is very expensive. Also from Bossington you can walk up to Hurlestone Point for views across the channel. Roger

Dunster beach is worth a look if you are going to Porlock. A couple of hours before high tide is best. The beach is private so it is "pay and display" to park although you can park outside the entrance and walk in for free. If you are going to Porlock marsh then it is best to park in the National Trust car park at Bossington and walk down to the coast rather than park at Porlock Weir car park which is very expensive. Also from Bossington you can walk up to Hurlestone Point for views across the channel. Roger

Hi Roger

Porlock Marsh looks interesting. Read about it this afternoon on the internet. Good to know where to park. Member of the NT so parking would be free at Bossington. With regard to Hurlestone point - I have just been looking at some pictures on various sites. It looks a great walk birds or no birds

Thanks for you help, appreciated

Regards Charlie

Admittedly from earlier in the year but here are some notes about Porlock and a few other bits around Exmoor.

Hi Andy

Langford Heathfield would have to be a must if there are nightingales present. Spotting one of those would be a lifer for me. Phalarope at Upton Warren, that's a long way from home.

Dunkery Beacon seems interesting as well. If no birds I am getting a really good feel for the area and its potential as a walking paradise as well which Helen and I love to do.

Thanks Andy for you help

Charlie

Whilst I would not go to Wimbleball in September to look for birds it is quite a popular spot for walkers. There is only one "pay and display" car park and that is the one where the cafe is all the rest are free. If you park at Haddon Hill at the south end then you walk down to the dam and if you walk across it you will soon come to the car park with the cafe. I usually park just before the hamlet of Hartford and then walk up to the dam as the wood below the dam holds the desired birds. If you come down through Brompton Regis and past the Water Treatment Works turn right at the bottom of the hill sp Hartford and follow the road down until you reach the sign "Residents only past here". Park beside the river and cross the cattle grid and the track leads up to the dam. Don't go past this sign as there is no parking and it is very difficult to turn your car around. Redpolls are often just up the hill from the dam.
There is a small reserve at the cut off at the north end of the reservoir and a track leads up on the west side. Willow Tits used to breed here but they have long since gone unfortunately.
If you do park in the NT car park at Bossington then come out of the car park and turn right for the track to the beach and marsh. It is no longer possible to walk along the beach to Porlock Weir although there is a track at the back of the marsh. The old bridge at Allerford is a tourist magnet, very picturesque and worth a photo or two!!!.
If you want to see Dipper let me know as there is a regular site near Dulverton. Roger

Hi Guys,

Heading to Minehead on Friday to stay with Mr. Butlin and the wife's allowed me a day off from building sandcastles with my daughter to go birding.

I read on a forum here that Dartford Warblers were seen in Minehead (albeit the post was from 2007), are they still there, and if so where?

I have a target bird this year in the Dipper. Don't get them in my part of the country. Where would any of you recommend is closest to Minehead with as much as a guarantee of finding one?

Any tips of best places to visit would be great.

Cheers,

Mikee

Hi Guys,

Heading to Minehead on Friday to stay with Mr. Butlin and the wife's allowed me a day off from building sandcastles with my daughter to go birding.

I read on a forum here that Dartford Warblers were seen in Minehead (albeit the post was from 2007), are they still there, and if so where?

I have a target bird this year in the Dipper. Don't get them in my part of the country. Where would any of you recommend is closest to Minehead with as much as a guarantee of finding one?

Any tips of best places to visit would be great.

Cheers,

Mikee

Visited Natioal Trust Horner Woods and saw Dipper near bridge next to scout camp site. Excellent cream tea site nearby!

Spot on!!! Just back from my week at Butlins, sheltering from the rain. Ah the great British Summer eh?!?
Got a moment of intermittent dry in between spatters of rain and dragged the wife and child to Porlock to walk up and down the stream looking for the Dipper, Climbed right up hill, and took in the views, and on my return to the car after giving up any hope of finding my target, one was showing beautifully under a bridge right in the middle of town. Got a couple of rough record shots with the camera, and went home a happy man. Almost as happy as the wife who discovered a great cheese shop in Porlock, which I was forced to return to another 2 times. Once on Thursday giving me the opportunity to see a Grey Wagtail in the same place as the Dipper was, and today for a top up of Binghams Blue (a delicious local blue Cheese), where I again found the Dipper in the same place.
I'm pretty sure I saw one at Dunster Castle on Wednesday too, never got a chance to visit Dunster Beach or Marshes... Have to save this for a time when my daughter has a slightly longer attention span.

Thanks Guys,

Michael

Spot on!!! Just back from my week at Butlins, sheltering from the rain. Ah the great British Summer eh?!?
Got a moment of intermittent dry in between spatters of rain and dragged the wife and child to Porlock to walk up and down the stream looking for the Dipper, Climbed right up hill, and took in the views, and on my return to the car after giving up any hope of finding my target, one was showing beautifully under a bridge right in the middle of town.

Brilliant! Good to have it confirmed as a reliable spot. (Also liked the pub that did the pie'n'pint deal - very good pie.)

After the recent weather I was able to spend some rain free time over at Shapwick, On the drained lagoon were approx 30 Black tailed Godwits, 5 green sandpipers, a single greenshank approx 100 peewits and a Great white Egret and as for raptor spotting it was almost a full set with Marsh harriers, (both juv and adults) Buzzards, hobby sparrowhawk and peregrine.

Had a spare hour or two yesterday evening, so popped over to shapwick and was rewarded with good views of the Pectoral sandpiper and spotted crake on the drained lagoon, also the Osprey was still present on Noahs.

Plenty of lapwings and Black tailed Godwits over at Shapwick this evening, the only other birds of note was a Water Rail and Great White Egret on the Drained Lagoon and a Hobby, Juv Marsh Harrier and 2 Common Terns over at Noahs.

Last edited:
On the reed bed to the right of the drained lagoon at Shapwick produced 17 bearded tits and a bittern this morning, the lagoon itself was quiet with a single dunlin hiding amongst the black tailed godwits and lapwings.

A sunny afternoon over at Shapwick on the Lagoon today produced 1 Little Stint, 1 Snipe, 1 Redshank and approx 30 Knot.

What could these gulls be?
I'm not good at identifying gulls, even with the aid of the RSPB website: At Nailsea Reserve today were a few Little Gulls. Also some very similar size, similar-looking gulls, also with the classic wintertime black "ear-patch" of the Little Gull.....However, whilst the Little Gulls had yellow legs and black-tilled yellow bills, these had red legs and a black-tipped red bill. Could they be Mediterranean Gulls in some kind of winter plumage?
PS If anyone's interested there's a beautiful Mandarin duck there at the moment, far side of the island. Also 2 little egrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back