• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

You don`t say whether you have access to a car or how far you are prepared to travel.
Ham wall has good wheelchair access,though you will need to obtain a key,more details should be avalable on the RSB Website

Ham Wall was brilliant - especially when I found I could drive right into the middle of the reserve to the disabled parking using my wife's Radar key to open the gates. That made it so much easier for her (and me). Highly recommended for anyone with a disability.

Saw plenty of ducks - Gadwall, Tufted, Pochard, Wigeon, Shoveller and Mallard, and Canada Geese, displaying Great Crested Grebes, and a Buzzard that we tried to turn into a Marsh Harrier without success. Heard, but didn't see, three different warblers - Chiffchaff, Willow and Cetti's. We tried very hard to see the Cetti's - we're not the first to fail, are we?

Wheelchair access at Greylakes is also very good, with a board walk all the way to an easily accessible and very comfortable hide. As we walked in we watched Carrion Crows buzzing and chasing off a pair of Buzzards over the road. At the hide we were rewarded with close views of a Snipe probing the mud, large numbers of Wigeon, Teal and Shoveller, and 8 Little Egrets. Another Buzzard was working the marsh, and a couple a calling Curlew flew over.

Hi All,i have to work for an hour or so Sunday morning in Westen Super Mare,as always when i'm at work i like to have a detour around any local birding spots or try for any rareties in the area,i've been to Westen lot's of times but as a nearly new comer,never as a birder.I will be travelling from Birmingham and wonder if anyone can give me any idea's where to go for an hour or so along the route or in the area.
thankyou in advance

Red Kite in Somerset today

My first sighting of a Red Kite in Somerset (today).

1 mile East of A37 roundabout on A303 close to Yeovilton.

Kite stooped twisting from about 80 feet and disappeared behind a tree into a field just beside the A303.

Driving (obviously) so no time for tags.

Chuffed to bits. Funny I was on my way here to Bucks where I can see at least 6 out of the window right now....somehow my lone Somerset bird has excited me a little bit more |:d|

jamie

Also posted today in red kite sighting forum

Had very good views of Nightjar at the well known site on the Mendips on Friday.
If anyone is going don`t forget the insect repellant as the midges are voracious.

Reverse migration may already be underway: common sandpiper at Portbury Wharf this evening. Plus the usual hobby; swifts numbered well over a hundred.

I visited Shapwick Heath yesterday morning and watched three Black Terns feeding in front of hide at Noah's Lake. Also noted was a large flock of Black-tailed Godwits in-excess of 200 and 2 Otters. It's the first time I have visited this site and not seen anyone must go again early, (6.30), on a Friday morning.

Out at Greylake yesterday morning, it was bright but cold, the pond outside the hide was frozen, sightings include 100+snipe 2 dunlins approx 50+ wigeon and teal and the Peregrine made a brief appearance on the pylon.

Good idea Shoshone, I live in Somerset too. It would be good to share sightings news. I've been too busy to do any birding of late, but I can tell you that where I live (Portishead), the shores of the Bristol channel are quite muddy, and you always get winter waders here. Curlews and oystercatchers especially, and last winter some redshanks. I'm always keen to know of new sightings in the county...especially rare birds.
Andy
PS Mate of mine just saw a woodcock (yes really), at the river frome by wade St BS2 in the middle of Bristol!

Out at Greylake yesterday morning, it was bright but cold, the pond outside the hide was frozen, sightings include 100+snipe 2 dunlins approx 50+ wigeon and teal and the Peregrine made a brief appearance on the pylon.
Hi I noticed that your forum name is Hauki, I wondered if you are from an English/Finnish family like I am? Andy

During the very cold weather over Christmas I've naurally been putting out a lot of food. Now that it's warmed up a bit, I've seen a few nice sights just in the back garden where we have a lot of mature trees; A green woodpecker probing the lawn, a flock of long-tailed tits yesterday, and the usual great tits, thrushes etc. Oh yes, has anyone else found that the birds don't seem very partial at all to mixed seed? I have a mix that includes sunflower, dari(?) and millet. The birds hardly touch the sed feeders, and from the tables they only seem to like the black sunflower seeds. Any observations?

Went to have a look at the mudflats in Portishead today. Saw some long-legged but rather short-billed waders i can't be sure about...I think they were some kind of sandpiper due to white underparts. Straight, and much shorter bills than godwits. According to my book, the most likely species would be common sandpiper or green sandpiper, and apparently wood sandpipers are not 'supposed' to be on our mudflats in the winter. Anyone got any thoughts (I know it's difficult without a photo)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back