• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (5 Viewers)

Likewise Mark, I was out first light expecting a semi decent fall......... and very quiet. Looking at the pressure charts Thur/Fri may be decent.

It seems like I wasn't the only one not seeing 'the boy' today. Really a bit underwhelming. There were quite a few Blackbirds and Robins but other migrants weren't really happening. The best of it were ten Blackcaps, three Chiffchaffs, a Brambling, four Siskins, four Grey Wagtails, three Redwing, four Swallows, one Reed Bunting (probably one of Mark's) and two Tree Sparrows. Eighty Fieldfares in two flocks came in. Offshore I had three Long-tailed Ducks but little else. There ought to be something out there, but the lack of even semi-scarce migrants wasn't encouraging.

Still plenty of thrushes (seemingly more redwing this morning), blackcaps, and a few crests, brambling and other finches around (including a redpoll spp overhead yesterday) - but the bulk of the activity seems to be in Torry itself rather than at Girdle ness - especially around Abbey road/Baxter place areas. That said, I can't make it out to girdle ness this lunchtime so no doubt someone will find something decent...

Todays bird of interest - 'eastern' lesser whitethroat on the north bank. Showed quite well (briefly) around the trees and boulders at the western end of the north bank. Will have another look for it after work...

yep, still there till around half five - would have got some decent pictures if it hadn't been dark. Wouldn't be surprised if it was still there in the morning.

As it happens I did get a few shots, if anyone is interested...the first one shows the bird ok - but the colour is a bit dark and rich looking. The second one gives a much better idea of the sandy upperparts with reduced contrast with buffy underparts - much more what it looked like in the field. It's a lot showier than the last one too!

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 99
Once again there were a few bits and pieces around without there being anything particularly outstanding. Three Chiffchaffs on Abbey Road included one that was certainly the right colour for tristis. It didn't call to confirm things though, and soon disappeared off into the fenced area. Other migrants included six Blackcaps, a Brambling, three Redwings and a Song Thrush. A Yellowhammer was in the allotments. Offshore a few ducks were moving: 40 Teal, four Common Scoter and one Velvet Scoter. Had the feeling there might have been something better out there, but I've been saying that a lot lately.

Despite the much less promising conditions, today was probably a bit more interesting than yesterday. Migrants were thin on the ground, with just one Blackcap on the north bank. The best birds were probably two Scaup, which flew into the mouth of the harbour. They looked like an adult and immature female - only my second ever sighting here. Whilst I was following them as they flew around I noticed a large pale grey shape, which turned out to be rather moribund looking juvenile Whooper Swan. It eventually swam round into Greyhope Bay. Not too much was moving offshore but I had a distant, though pretty convincing, Pomarine Skua north.

Odd bits and pieces around today. In the morning a redpoll spp went over the battery and a woodcock was in the walled garden.

At lunchtime, there were snow bunting and great crested grebe in greyhope bay.

Fairly quiet this morning. The best were a couple of Snow Buntings flying over the north bank from the Battery. A Blackcap was still on Abbey Road. There was some important movement on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Boof!

A good candidate Sibe chiff at lunchtime today at the sewage works. Quite vocal, with some variety to the calls but including many 'standard tristris' sounds. Plumage wise, nicely brown above and white below with buffy flanks and a hint of warmth around the strong super and ear coverts. Green tones restricted to wings and tail.

Another productive lunchtime in Nigg Bay with a slav grebe showing brilliantly close in in the bay, and 9 whooper swans south overhead.

It's been a braw day in Torry, but definitely more wintery with quite a bit of frost and ice. There were one or two interesting birds too. A Redpoll was heard calling over the allotments. A group of six Whooper Swans flew south over the lighthouse and a short time later a Whooper cygnet was seen flying north some distance out before alighting on Aberdeen Bay. Offshore, eleven Red-throated Divers were dotted about and two Common Scoters flew north.

After several scans I eventually found the Slavonian Grebe swimming daintily across Nigg Bay. It looks as though it still has a little reddish plumage on the neck. While I was scanning, I picked out a Black Guillemot flying north - the first I've seen here in about two years. It's a species that's become really scarce around Aberdeen recently.

In the scrub near the waterworks I was startled to find a flock of twelve Mistle Thrushes feeding on the rowan berries. That might be the largest flock I've ever seen in the area. Also there were a Redwing, a Reed Bunting and a Snipe.

Perhaps the best sighting of all was my first Fridge of the year, on the south side by the road. Let's hope it's a long-stayer.

Attachments

• Fridge_Girdle Ness_091113a.jpg
    Fridge_Girdle Ness_091113a.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 65
A party of nine calling/flying Whooper Swans flew over the Sewage Works heading south/west over the Gramps/Tullos Hill at 8am this morning.

I had a brisk look around this afternoon. The Slavonian Grebe was still in Nigg Bay but otherwise things were quiet. I disturbed a Sparrowhawk with prey in the allotments.

The Fridge was still showing well on the south side. It did look a little edgy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back