• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Petersburg - Russia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
We have Pied Flycatchers in one box at the end of the balcony and Great Tits in a box at the other end.

Interestingly, the Great Tits who lost their young to a Great-spotted Woodpecker last year in the same spot but a different box, have sqeezed in to a box meant for Flycatchers, I just hope the young can squeeze out when the time comes!

We can aslo see a Fieldfare sitting on it's nest from the balcony.

A

Very envious of your domestic Pied Flycatchers - I only get to see the odd spring male here on passage (abundant in the autumn here though of course not the same) and they never seem to let me have good old goggle at them!

Pied Flycatchers in the box attached to the wall by my kitchen window too. Couple of years back a male had a female in the box by my kitchen window and a second female in a box on the back wall of the house.

Pair in a box next to my city centre flat too - nice song to the backdrop of trolleybuses amd cars, etc.

Pied Flycatcher has a remarkable statistic in St Peterburg, I read that 90% of urban nest boxes are occupied by them.

It has to be said that St Petersburg is huge and even in the City, there are plenty of large parks and woodland.

Believe it or not, people put up Starling boxes here, City dwellers love them and the standard nest box available in most pet shops is meant for Starlings.

The father in law has knocked up a couple of really nice Flycatcher boxes for me this year.

A

Last edited:
Pied Flycatchers fledged today, five days earlier than last. We can still hear the contact call between parents and adults, in the forest next to our home, the Great Tits went two weeks ago.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back