• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird box hygiene (1 Viewer)

CarolineEcho

United Kingdom
Hi there folks!
I’m a bit of a ‘newby’ at all this bird box landlord position and am concerned that I keep prospective guests comfortable, safe and pest free although fear I may have missed the boat on being able to go near it.
I had blue tits in residence last year but haven’t seen any birds near it at all yet this year, which I was over the moon about!
Can anyone advise me whether it’s better now to leave it and allow the next folk in there to spring clean or can I try and make the place a little more appealing and cosy for them at this stage in the game?
Thanking u in anticipation
Caroline

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there Caroline and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

As to your nest boxes, at the end of breeding season, I always clean out my boxes which causes no problems whatsoever when breeding season starts again ;)

Hi Caroline and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

hi caroline, it's still early enough to clean out your nest box, more beneficial for the new tenants too

Hi and welcome Caroline. I agree with andm, there is still plenty of time to clean out your nest box. One year we took ours down in winter and forgot to put it up until early April. Within an hour two Blue Tits found it and we heard their excited calls. They were leaning forward looking at the nest box hole and both had raised their crown feathers and had loosened their wings and were positively vibrating with excitement. They soon set up house and they brought off a full brood of young ones. We guess they hadn't been able to find an untenanted nest hole and so were knocked out when one suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

Lee

Hi Caroline

I've now moved your thread to the Nest Box forum, where others with the right knowledge will be able to see it and offer their thoughts too.

I see you're subscribed to the thread, so you should be able to find it easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back