• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

.tmp file issue (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Over the last week I've been getting short cuts added to my laptop which look like Notepad documents they all start FAP####.tmp

I've no idea why or what they relate to. Opening the documents the page is empty. Properties gives me no information.

I thought .tmp files were automatically deleted when you shut down? But I now have 6 of these documents.

Should I just delete them? Reluctant to do that without knowing what they are.

Hi Delia

I did a quick search and these files are created by Flashplayer. If you are able to delete them, then I'd do that. If they won't let themselves be deleted, you could right click them to see their Properties - look under Attributes. If there's a check mark for "read only", remove the check mark and they should be deletable.

The search results I got made it clear there's nothing sinister going on. If this problem persists, I could look into it a bit further, but I'm no expert!

Oooh thanks so much John.

I did try and search but couldn't come up with anything at all useful to me.

Ok - they're heading for the bin then.

I wonder why they've suddenly started to do this - seems odd.

My guess would be that the .tmp files appeared because of an "untidy" installation of, or update to, Flash Player (which you need on your system in order to play videos from YouTube etc). If you delete the files successfully, I'd be happy with that and forget about it all.

If they reappear, you could try a "clean installation" of Flash Player over your existing one, which with any luck should solve the problem. How you'd do that installation would depend on your browser. I use Firefox but seem to remember you use something else. Anyway, here's the Adobe site:

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Usual precautions apply: don't let it change your homepage or install stuff you don't want. And of course don't pay any money!

I used to know this stuff, but have forgotten most of it because these days such problems are fewer than with Windows XP - or going back further, Windows 98. Most things seem to happen automatically now, with less need for user intervention.

Okeydoke.... thanks John.

I'll see what happens later on then.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back