• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New World birder needs ID of Old World bird (1 Viewer)

Garden Warbler.... or..... Nightingale...

Apart from being a mainly featureless bird (actually this one actually seems to show lots of features lol), grey patch on side of the neck should rule out others eg Nightingale? (head pattern quite nightingale like - rufous crown above eyestripe, large eye????, long bill??), but then grey legs indicate Garden Warbler....

(And the tail looks like it might actually be a rusty brown colour....)

Messy posting, on the fence for reasons above, but could well be a slightly funny exposure of Nightingale IMO. But it does have the jizz of a smaller Garden Warbler...

I'd go for Garden Warbler - though I take your point about it looking long-billed, the grey neck, face pattern, jizz etc looks good for GW. One feature not mentioned yet is gape colour, which is quite strikingly yellow in Nightingale.

OK, I didn't know that before I looked at some photos of both, so I have learned summat today :)

and I owe you a message Dan, sorry...

;) The more I look, the worse I get on these ones - vowed never to get involved in GW/Nightingale ids last year - failed!

I did wonder about the yellow gape - that part of the pic seems overexposed to me, so couldn't tell if it was present or not... agree, don't think it is though. Plus I forget how brown GW can be - the ones I see (if I see them) tend to appear to have been more greeny-grey.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back