• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

+ Some Bonus Birds of Fanny, Edward Wilson and Mr. & Mrs. Parzudaki! (1 Viewer)

The Museum national D'Histoire natural cite Emile P. as collector of the type of this bird and one from the Philippines and one from Brazil etc.
https://science.mnhn.fr/all/list?recordedBy=Parzudaki, Emile . But that is not what Bonaparte said. He said merely that Emile P. was a naturalist and voyageur. The Museums paraphernalia state that M. emiliana was acquired from Mr. Parzudaki, and one other says it was from Mr. Parzudaki's collection. Does the use of Voyageur mean going around the world? Or maybe Emile went to Greece or Spain?
https://science.mnhn.fr/institution/mnhn/collection/zo/item/mo-2002-547?listIndex=2&listCount=8 .
I would have more to say but BHL is down.

Last edited:
Christophe Gouraud et al (2016) discussed as well the possible misinterpretations of bird labels in the museums. Emile was more a business man than a scientist as he produced only catalogues to sell natural history specimen. It looks like a family Peters bought the natural history store of Parzudaki (but not 100% confirmed if I read Christophe Gouraud et al (2016) correctly). Emile went into a different business as there is written:

In August 1874, following the death of his uncle, Philippe Latour, Emile took over the management of Maison Philippe Latour (Baras 1881: 288), a factory producing shoes.

Clarisse's Sunangel

Gouraud, Chevrier & Mearns (2016) also confirms what I (in Post #1) and Martin (in Post #12) claimed … regarding the Eponym:

Heliangelus (amethysticollis) clarisse LONGUEMARE 1841

= Clarisse Parzudaki née Moreuil (1807–1884), wife of French naturalist Charles Parzudaki (1806–1889)

---

Last edited:
[…]
... I do not see that any Parzudaki travelled. …
[…]
So there is no evidence for me that they travelled themselves to Colombia. As already discussed Émile would be very young at that time.
[…]
I see no real evidence that Charles travelled either. But, if Émile did not travel at all, then we have here a legend that started as early as 1854, when Bonaparte described Macropygia emiliana, calling Émile Parzudaki explicitly "un jeune naturaliste voyageur [...] qui nous l'a fait remarquer" [here].
Could it be as simple as Bonaparte in 1854 meant that the "young" Emile Parzudaki (when those words was written he was 25 years old) also could have travelled repeatedly (as we know Charles did), not very long-distance, but back and forth, between Paris and London (i.e. the British Museum) …?

However; what about these claims (not necessarily of birds, but as well of other animals): here, here, here or here … ? Are they all (as indicated by Gouraud et al) simply erroneous?

According to the correspondence (briefly mentioned by Gouraud et al, p.82) kept in the Archives of NHM, one or both, (Émile or Charles) Parzudaki had the following addresses during the years 1840-1850: "Paris, France" and "Algeria" as well as "Panama" (here) … !?

And what about this NHM entry; here, claiming that "E. Parzudaki" collected the Type of today's Hemithraupis flavicollis albigularis SCLATER 1855 (here, and Plate, here) as "Nemosia albigularis" … "from Santa Fe, Bogota" (However not mentioned in the OD). If true? I don´t know. I assume this is yet another of those "Bogota-skins" purchased, fixed, re-freshed, sold and delivered (but not collected) by the Parzudaki firm.

If Christophe Gouraud, Laurent Chevrier & Richard Mearns (2016) are correct (and it sure looks that way) several caretakers of various collections in Museums and other institutions now have a massive task of updating their archives, labels, decades of compilations, long registers and even longer lists of suppliers, donors, collectors etc. etc. … and, hopefully also their home-pages.

However note that they in the ending part of this article leaves it open that Emile Parzudaki might have traveled to Egypt in 1860 …? This, of course, impossible for Bonaparte to know six years earlier.

I get the feeling there are a few gaps remaining to get the full picture. In any case I assume the last parts will remain unknown, considering the apparent amount of work and time that Gouraud, Chevrier & Mearns have spent on this matter. It sure looks like they have followed the track as far as possible.

Parzudaki Summary

Following the Paper of Gouraud, Chevrier & Mearns (2016) also gives us (alt. confirms):

● the invalid "Ornismya parzudhaki" LESSON 1838 (recte 1839) [Syn. (Ornismya) Chlorostilbon ricordii GERVAIS 1835]
● the invalid "Ornismya parzudaki" LESSON 1840 [Syn. (Ornismya) Chlorostilbon ricordii FRASER 1840]
● today's Flame-faced Tanager Tangara parzudakii DE LAFRESNAYE 1843 as "Tanagra parzudakii"
= Charles Parzudaki (1806–1889), Cretian-born, French Dealer in Natural History Specimens … etc. etc.

● the Generic name Parzudakia REICHENBACH 1854
= either one, or both, of Charles Parzudaki (1806–1889) and/or his "step-son" Emile Parzudaki (1829–1899)

● today's Ruddy Cuckoo-Dove Macropygia emiliana BONAPARTE 1854
= Emile Parzudaki (1829–1899), French Dealer in Natural History Specimens … etc., etc., whose full name (at the start) was François Charles Emil Fauqueux (!), but he was mostly called, and known as; Emil (or by the "more French" versions "Emile" alt. "Émile") Parzudaki – the Surname adapted (in evereyday life) from his step-father (the above-mentioned Charles Parzudaki, whom Emil's Mother had married in 1837, when Emil was still a boy).

After Mid-July 1858 François Charles Emil Fauqueux officially (even if either one was rarely used, especially in Natural History contexts) became: François Charles Emile Fauqueux-Parzudaki – however, in most cases, still called simply "Emile Parzudaki".

And as such, this Emile Parzudaki died … in Paris, on the 21st of March 1899, at the age of 69."

Wow!

Gouraud, Chevrier & Mearns (and Martin) sure did their home-work!

Björn

PS. Gouraud et al wisely leave the genus Emilia pending (like also Martin pointed out in Post #18):
Beolens et al. (2014: 175) stated that the (obsolete) genus Emilia Mulsant, Verreaux and Verreaux, 1866, was named after Emile Parzudaki. Along with Jobling37 we could not find any evidence in the original work (Mulsant et al. 1866: 185) that this genus was named after Emile Parzudaki.
Note that there's some Daughters that might, maybe could have been intended, at least to be considered; Charles's only child/Daughter; Eugénie Emilie Parzudaki (1834–1884) or Jeanne Marie Emilie Parzudaki (born 1860) – (second-born daughter*) of Emile Parzudaki [and, of course, also of his wife: Louise Emma Bonifay (1832-1894)]. ;)

*The first-born Daughter (they only had two children/daughters) was; Louise Clarisse Emma, born in 1860 [clearly excluding her from being a candidate for (Ornismya) Heliangelus clarisse DE LONGUEMARE 1841]

Last edited:
What if you interpret collector just as from the collection of and not as collector in the field?
In theory, this confusion should not happen in French sources, as the words are distinct: 'a collector' in the sense of someone who gathers, maintains and owns an assemblage of items is un collectionneur (with 'a collection' in this sense of the assemblage being une collection); 'a collector' in the sense of someone acting to obtain items in the field is un collecteur (with 'the collection' in the sense of the action of obtaining these items being la collecte). But of course this doesn't mean that mistakes can't happen.

Taking the example of M. emiliana again...
  • The [MNHN database entry] for the type specimen indicates unambiguously "Nom du collecteur: Parzudaki, Emile".
  • The label ([recto]/[verso]) gives no indication.
  • The former [socle] is marked "Acquis à M Parzudaki" = "Acquired from M. Parzudaki", which is quite different from "Collected by".
  • [Voisin et al 2005] noted:
    Dans son Conspectus generum avium Bonaparte indique que le spécimen qu'il a décrit provient de Java, qu'il est au Museum de Paris et qu'il a été collecté par Parzudaki.
    = "In his Conspectus generum avium Bonaparte indicates that the specimen which he described originates from Java, that it is at the Museum of Paris and that it was collected by Parzudaki."
    ...But in fact the Conspectus [here] only indicates:
    Mus. Paris. 1854. a Parzudakio. ex Java.
    [...]
    Emilio Parzudakio, Ornithophilo peregrinatori, dicata.
    ...where "a Parzudakio" just stands for "from Parzudaki" -- and might perfectly have been intended to mean "acquired from". The last sentence translates as "Dedicated to Émile Parzudaki, Bird-loving traveller", and gives no clear indication about a collector either (although it makes Émile a traveller once again).
I'd guess that, where no other evidence was available, relatively vague statements which originally meant "acquired from", "obtained from", "received from", etc., might quite easily have been repeatedly interpreted as "collected by".

Last edited:
Friends, I have nothing more to add. I´ve found no reliable traces of any "World travelling" Parzudaki, nor of a ditto Fauqueux alt. in the combination Fauqueux-Parzudaki. This, of course, doesn´t mean either one of the two Parzudakis couldn´t have been travelling widely. But if they did, in a major way, frequently, there normally should, would, ought to be some kind of trace to find somewhere. But I´ve found no such cases, except in second-, or more likely, third- and fourth-hand sources, simply quoting each other.

I´m done! (... in this thread).

Björn

PS. Martin, I would suggest you to add your full name (below the user name "Taphrospilus", to the left), as of now you are totally anonymous for most viewers. This because I suspect you to be the "anonymous reviewer", mentioned in the Acknowledgements in the Gouraud et al Paper! The names, dates, years, places and ages of the various members of the Parzudaki Family mentioned in their article, are almost to the letter, identical to what you wrote here, the 1st of April 2015 (Post #12).

Just an idea? As of now, by being anonymous (that is if Gouraud et al ever did read your post), you missed your "15 minutes of Fame" … ;)
--

Last edited:
What still leaves me a bit perplex is that I don't really see actual evidence that Émile resided and worked in Paris before 1856 either.
Before this date, he was not in commercial directories (his first appearance is [here] - a directory for 1857, printed in 1856; he was 27 years old), and I don't get the feeling that he was cited as a source of specimen in the French zoological literature either (where the name of Parzudaki appears, it was typically in reference to a single 'M. Parzudaki', which was presumably always Charles -- the main exception being, of course, Bonaparte's explicit dedication, where the Prince called him a traveller).
Do we actually know where he was, and what he was doing before that?

It´s (apparently!) hard to keep one's fingers away from this thread …

"Emile Parzudaki" (officially pre-1858: "François Charles Emil Fauqueux") could possibly have stayed (even if only at times, but maybe longer than we know) where he grew up with his biological Father (a furniture dealer, who died at 27) François Napoléon Fauqueux (1806-1833), in Oise, Picardie, France … or maybe he (as the only Son) went there, stayed there or returned there when he´d grown up, even long after his Father's death …?

Note that his mother was born and died at the same location. Also Charles Parzudaki, his step-father died there (they married in 1837) … it´s only 30 km North of Paris. Even in those days it should have beeen possible to work in Paris, and simultaneously (at least at times) be living in Picardie. I assume that would be possible for both the Parzudakis.

Just an idea? A simple guess … if of any use?
---

Last edited:
"Emile Parzudaki" (officially pre-1858: "François Charles Emil Fauqueux") could possibly have stayed (even if only at times, but maybe longer than we know) where he grew up with his biological Father (a furniture dealer, who died at 27) François Napoléon Fauqueux (1806-1833), in Oise, Picardie, France … or maybe he (as the only Son) went there, stayed there or returned there when he´d grown up, even long after his Father's death …?

And who is FAUQUEUX-PARZUDAKI (François - Charles - Étienne) , naturaliste, né à Nointel en 1829. D. du 14 juillet 1858 (assume somehow wrong information).

But I agree it is possible that he grew up in Oise (maybe at his grandma/grandpa). But it is as well possible that he traveled as a child similar to Auguste Sallé (with his mother and a for me a mystery M. Vasselet) or the Verreaux brothers (with the uncle Pierre Antoine Delalande) or Adolphe Boucard (not sure who accompanied a 12 year old boy in 1851). But all this is based on speculation and not on evidence.

And who is FAUQUEUX-PARZUDAKI (François - Charles - Étienne) , naturaliste, né à Nointel en 1829. D. du 14 juillet 1858 (assume somehow wrong information).
This is (see [the title page of this section]) a list of persons who had their name changed between 1803 and 1865, compiled from the Bulletin des lois.
See also the text explaining the conventions used in the list [here]: when a name is printed partly in italics, partly not, this indicates that this person had the italicized component(s) added to a name that was originally limited to the non-italicized component(s). "D." stands for décret (decree).

Thus the list is telling us that a François-Charles-"Étienne", naturalist, born in Nointel in 1829, had his name changed from Fauqueux into Fauqueux-Parzudaki (see "FAUQUEUX-PARZUDAKI") by a decree of 14 Jul 1858.
However, in the Bulletin des lois [here], Décret impérial N° 5946 dated 14 Jul 1858, the naturalist, born in Nointel in 1829, who had his name changed from Fauqueux into Fauqueux-Parzudaki was François-Charles-Émile.

In other words, "Étienne" is definitely a simple misquote for Émile.

(Note that this decree only changed his family name, accepting "Émile" as the original spelling of his given name, without modifying it.)

But I agree it is possible that he grew up in Oise (maybe at his grandma/grandpa). But it is as well possible that he traveled as a child similar to Auguste Sallé (with his mother and a for me a mystery M. Vasselet) or the Verreaux brothers (with the uncle Pierre Antoine Delalande) or Adolphe Boucard (not sure who accompanied a 12 year old boy in 1851). But all this is based on speculation and not on evidence.
This might be but (assuming his birth date is correct -- I've looked for his birth certificate in the [archives of Nointel], but failed to find it) he was not a child any more at all when he "appeared" in Paris. And he presumably had been in the "business" of birds for some times, as he had already managed to bring Bonaparte onto a new species a couple of years earlier.
I guess my problem is about what the null hypothesis should be... It's also possible that, from his 20th to his 27th birthday, he spent most of his time working in his step-father's back-shop without having any public life. But this is speculation as well.

Last edited:
FWIW, Gould is another contemporary of Émile, who also believed that he had travelled:
I have a specimen of this bird, presented to me by M. Emile Parzudaki, of Paris, with the name of Emile attached. The bird was killed by him during his visit to South America.
[Gould 1861]

Last edited:
Re: Gould. The odds that a 19th century writer in ornithology could be mistaken about E. Parzudaki collecting overseas is fairly high, The odds that both Gould and Bonaparte were wrong is much lower. Especially given the detail of Gould's statement: Parzudaki went to a specific place and killed a specific bird.

This might be but (assuming his birth date is correct -- I've looked for his birth certificate in the [archives of Nointel], but failed to find it) he was not a child any more at all when he "appeared" in Paris.

I agree and would have expected his entry here around p. 22/23 of 88 for Emile.

Tried to find the others too but failed as well. It might be worth to contact him as he was the creator of the tree. As I do not have an geneanet (and not intend to create one) account I am not able to do. Maybe all of them lived, died or have been born in a hamlet around Nointel similar to Vieillot. Or maybe it is worth to contact the authors of the publication.

Just another speculation in the article that Emile may have collected in the field is here p. 8. where it is written:

Femelle, tueé près de Rosette en Egypte, par M. Parzudaki, 1860.

Could be interpreted as killed by Parzudaki or only killed at Rosette and aquired from Parzudaki. Isn't it?

P.S. According the article the birth, death, marriage entries are to find in this archive here

Last edited:
Could be interpreted as killed by Parzudaki or only killed at Rosette and aquired from Parzudaki. Isn't it?
I would be tempted to say no -- the sentence as it is written, to me, means clearly that Parzudaki killed the bird. (Beware that 'par' and 'de' have quite distinct meanings in French, even though both may be translated as 'von' in German. I cannot think of a situation where 'par' would translate into 'from' in English.) But things are muddied by the fact that this article actually alludes to three Parzudaki birds:
  • p.6, Aquila naevioides: "18. Femelle, tuée au mont Liban, acquise en 1860 de Mr. Parzudaki" = 18. Female, killed at mount Liban, acquired in 1860 from Mr. Parzudaki.
  • p.8, Aquila pennata: "3. Femelle, tuée près de Rosette en Egypte, par Mr. Parzudaki, 1860" = 3. Female, killed near Rosette in Egypt, by Mr. Parzudaki, 1860.
  • p.9, Aquila bonelli: "5. Femelle, livrée parfaite, tuée près de Rosette en Egypte, acquise de Mr. Parzudaki, 1860." = 5. Female, perfect dress, killed near Rosette in Egypt, acquired from Mr. Parzudaki, 1860.
The date is the same for all three birds, and I suspect that all three statements may have been intended to say the same thing -- which might then well be what the first one actually says: killed at X; acquired from Parzudaki in 1860.

P.S. According the article the birth, death, marriage entries are to find in this archive here
It is there indeed -- but you have to register to access it, and accept a clause that expressly forbids reposting the images. Using the information, however, is freely allowed. The act reads:
Naissance d'un garçon
L'an mil huit cent vingt neuf le jeudi vingt huitième jour de mai à deux heures de l'après-midi; Pardevant nous Côme Vincent Auguste Lejeune adjoint au maire de Nointel, canton de Liancourt, arrondissement de Clermont, département de l'Oise; auquel le dit maire a délégué par arrêté du onze mai mil huit cent vingt huit les fonctions d'officier de l'état civil de la dite commune. Est comparu le sieur Pierre Nicolas Moreuil marchand cocquetier âgé de cinquante-deux ans, demeurant en cette commune; Lequel nous a présenté un enfant du sexe masculin né aujourd'huy à six heures du matin du légitime mariage de François Napoléon Fauqueux âgé de vingt-trois ans six mois, marchand de meubles quay Saint Michel numéro neuf à Paris, et de Clarisse Moreuil âgée de vingt-trois ans son épouse, et auquel il a déclaré vouloir donner les prénoms de François Charles Emil. Les dites déclaration et présentation faites en présence de Maximilien Antoine Commelin instituteur âgé de cinquante huit ans et de Joseph Portemer cultivateur âgé de cinquante sept ans, tous deux demeurant en cette commune, et ont les témoins et le déclarant ci-dessus dénommé signé avec nous le présent acte de naissance après que lecture leur en a été faite.
Commelin
Joseph Portemer
Lejeune
Fauqueux père de [l'enfant [?]]
(The last word is obscured by the signature of the officer. Note that Pierre Nicolas Moreuil, Clarisse's father and Émile's grandfather, appears to have signed the act "Fauqueux father of the child": a bit strange, but this is how things are.)

In the margin is added:
Suivant jugement sur requête rendu par le tribunal civil de première instance séant à Clermont, Oise, le quatre novembre mil huit cent cinquante neuf, enregistré, l'acte de naissance ci-contre a été rectifié en ce sens que l'enfant y dénommé pourra s'appeler à l'avenir François Charles Emile Fauqueux-Parzudaki et que le prénom de Emile sera écrit avec un e final.
Pour mention,
Le Maire,
Moreuil

Last edited:
Parzudakia

Have to come back on Parzudaki.

As per today in HBW alive key:

Parzudakia

(syn. Heliangelus Ϯ Tourmaline Sunangel H. exortis) Specific name Ornismya parzudakii Longuemare, 1840 (= syn. Heliangelus exortis).

in Christophe Gouraud al.

Parzudakia Reichenbach, 1854. Whether this genus was named after Charles or Emile, or both, is hard to tell, as Reichenbach did not give any detail. Parzudakia Reichenbach, 1854, is a junior synonym of Heliangelus Gould, 1848.

I am personally convinced it is for Charles. Here OD.

Reichenbach used the new genus for:

Parzudakia dispar (Orn. Parzudakii Less. 1840) - St. Fé de Bogota
Parzudakia viola (Heliotrypha Gould 1853) - Peru

If we attribute Orn. Parzudakii Less. 1840 to Charles for good reasons described in Christophe Gouraud et al. I think Parzudakia must be attributed to him as well. Second I think the author is Lesson, RP and not Longuemare here as title Oiseaux-Mouches rares ou nouveaux, communiqués par MM. Longuemare et Parzudaki, faisant partie du t. IV. inédit de l’histoire naturelle des Oiseaux-mouches de Lesson.

In the OD next page even Lesson is shown as author. But there might be different opinions about authorship.

In the OD next page even Lesson is shown as author. But there might be different opinions about authorship.
In addition, the OS of the species-group name was parzudaki, not 'parzudakii'.

I understand the title of the work as saying that the text is part of the unpublished fourth volume of a work by Lesson, and describes specimens communicated by (i.e., received from) Longuemare and Parzudaki.
Additionally, the descriptive text of this particular species starts with a sentence that unambiguously identifies the author as the same person who had earlier already proposed the same name for another bird: this is a clear reference to Ornismya Parzudakhi Lesson 1839 [OD], which was unquestionably authored by Lesson.
Last, this particular bird is said to have been received from Parzudaki, thus not from Longuemare, and it is in fact unclear that Longuemare was involved in any way in its discovery and description.

It is obvious that Lesson is the author.

OTOH, I have no real problem with the interpretation of Parzudakia as having been formed from the species-group name name parzudaki (misspelled 'parzudakii' by Reichenbach; itself intended as a homage to Charles by Lesson; but whether Reichenbach intended his choice of name as an additional homage to the dedicatee, or simply formed the name 'mechanistically' by changing the ending of the species-group name, is in any case hard to tell).

or simply formed the name 'mechanistically' by changing the ending of the species-group name, is in any case hard to tell).

OK. Assume Reichenbach didn't know any of both Parzudakis, therefore he wouldn't honor them and most probably formed the name 'mechanistically'. How would you explain the name etymologically? There are several examples like this e.g. Lafresnaya Bonaparte, 1850.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back