• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coeligena iris eva and Eriocnemis luciani catharina (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Does anyone know if this gentleman was married and if his wife or children names may Eva/Eve or Catharina/Katharina?

No. 5 – baroni in …
● Violet-throated Metaltail Metallura baroni SALVIN 1893
● Baron's Spinetail Cranioleuca baroni SALVIN 1895
● the debated species (or subspecies) Baron's Hermit Phaethornis (longirostris) baroni HARTERT 1897 a k a " Baron's Long-billed Hermit"
As well as the less debated sub-species:
Atlapetes latinuchus baroni SALVIN 1895
Cantorchilus superciliaris baroni HELLMAYR 1902
= the German sailor, later engineer, entomologist and collector Oskar Theodor Baron (1847–1926), who collected both Birds and Insects (esp. Butterflies) in Peru, Mexico and Ecuador – whose first name (in English) often is written as Oscar.

Of course OD here gives us no hint and a quck look here or here not either.

So maybe Coeligena iris eva and Eriocnemis luciani catharina can be solved if we would know his wife/siblings or or as the english say to kill two birds with one stone. (in german zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen).

Of course the names may related to Salvin and as he referenced to On birds collected in Peru by Mr. O. T. Baron there might be a realationship to Count Hans Hermann Carl Ludwig Graf von Berlepsch or any other person in contact with Salvin e.g. Frederick DuCane Godman. If Wikipedia is correct with Godman...

Children
Eva Mary (1895-1965)
Catherine Edith (1896-1982)

Would also fit to the time of OD. Grave here. There seems to even something in The Ibis about Eva Mary Godman.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this gentleman was married and if his wife or children names may Eva/Eve or Catharina/Katharina?....
I haven´t got a clue, Martin. Sorry, none of those Hummingbird subspecies was ever on my list. I never checked Oskar (Oscar) Theodor Baron (1847–1926) any further than that. This was all I needed, (for my MS, where he's only mentioned in context, among other collectors, in South America).

I think he was born 9 September 1847, in Repsch (in Oberschlesien, Upper Silesia), which I assume is Rzepcze in today's Poland, at that time part of Prussia, not in Eastern Schleswig(-Holstein), as have been claimed, though I´m not sure of this ... maybe if you find his true Birth place, his Family will follow.

Either way; I guess you´ve already got this (Lepidopterist) paper; here (if not; some Hummingbirds collected by Baron, dealt with/mentioned, on pp.43-45).

If of any help?

Good luck finding the girls, alt. ladies!

Björn
--

Last edited:
@ Björn: I personally think the names are for the Godman sisters.

As Baron returned to Glogowek where he may have died, Rzepcze is indeed the birth place. For sure Eastern Schlesien (Silesia) and not Schleswig was meant.

@ Björn: I personally think the names are for the Godman sisters.
As Salvin apparently only had one daughter (Sybil), and worked very closely (for years) with Frederich DuCane Goodman, I assume this is a fair guess, for:

Coeligena iris eva SALVIN 1897 as "Diphlogæna eva"
Eriocnemis luciani/sapphiropygia catharina SALVIN 1897 as "Eriocnemis catharina"

If truly so, who knows?

Keep digging!

Björn

Just a small question. Why are you convinced that Oskar is the right spelling? Even in the other obituary in German language in the Entomologische Zeitschrift in my first post he was written as Oscar.

Simply trusting his descendants, as of; here alt. here (in German), in line with; here (p. 78), or here (p. 113) ... and elsewhere.
'Oskar' seems to be the current normal spelling of the name in German.
All these sources seem recent, thus they might conceivably just represent a tendency not to use a deprecated spelling. (Be it deliberately, or not.)

According his birth entry his name was Oscar (I got the information from his descendants).

He was born 10.09.1847 in Repsch (and not 09.09.1847 as written in one obituary) and baptized 19.09.1847. He died 07.09. 1926 in Oberglogau.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back