• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rooks and Rookeries (1 Viewer)

treeshade

Forgive me if this has been posted before, I am newly joined to bridforum and wondered if there was a list / map of rookeries in the UK on this forum?

I live in Yorkshire but I am not sure of where any rookeries are even in m own county?

I have been reading Mark Cocker's excellent book Crow Country and would really like to see large flocks of rooks again. As a younger man I did see flocks of rooks near where I used to live, but I haven't seen any since then.

I have seen some at the side of the road on grass verges as I have been going by, close to where I live, but it would be great to see a large flock of these social birds together.

The book has strangely made me focus on a often overlooked species of bird, the Corvids, almost to the exclusion of anything else, unless some other bird happens to interact with the crows, Jackdaws etc

If anyone could point me in the correct direction I would be grateful.

Thank you for taking time to read my post.

ts.

Unfortunately I can’t really help with a rookery map but there are a few near me on the outskirts of Leeds and you’ll see flocks of them feeding on the playing fields, especially in winter. I like going for early morning walks and you'll know when you’ve come across a rookery because the noise is relentless.

My garden is actually being mobbed by rooks on a daily basis at the moment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back