Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sewage works

Old Wednesday 20th July 2005, 18:27   #1
Ericmd

Sewage works

I have been visiting Marston sewage plant reserve recently.It has a good variety of birds;both inland and coastal species visit throughout the year and the summer warblers are here in force.
I've also noticed at a small waterworks on the witham river attracts great numbers of swallows,martins and wagtails.
Where there is food,they will come!
How do I find the locations of more sewage works?
Anglian water and Severn Trent haven't replied to my pleas for maps/locations.And I tried the Magic.com map with frustrating results.
I know not all treatment works would be suitable but it would be nice just to drop into one(not like that!) on journeys to other sites.
Eric
Old Wednesday 20th July 2005, 20:00   #2
David FG
The Big Dipper

In these troublous times I'm not altogether surprised that water companies are less than eager to tell you where their treatment plants are, but I would imagine they will be on Ordnance Survey maps (I must confess I've never looked.)
Old Thursday 21st July 2005, 06:40   #3
florall

They are marked on OS maps. Have been meaning to visit my local one as well, you might just have spurred me on to try. I can just imagine my husband's reaction when I say "Let's go for an evening stroll to our local sewage works darling!".

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st July 2005, 08:06   #4
Ericmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David FG
In these troublous times I'm not altogether surprised that water companies are less than eager to tell you where their treatment plants are, but I would imagine they will be on Ordnance Survey maps (I must confess I've never looked.)
Thanks for that,I'll visit the library today and check some maps out.One of the water companies 'provide maps of sites for a small fee'.I told my wife of my interest and she replied with arms folded "follow your nose"!
Quarry developers are quick to provide information since they see it as good publicity.....returning the landscape to nature they call it!
Old Monday 25th July 2005, 14:36   #5
Alf King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmd
Thanks for that,I'll visit the library today and check some maps out.One of the water companies 'provide maps of sites for a small fee'.I told my wife of my interest and she replied with arms folded "follow your nose"!
Quarry developers are quick to provide information since they see it as good publicity.....returning the landscape to nature they call it!
Traditionally sewage works were always built next to a river and downstream of the relevant community, usually at the boundary with the next borough.

HTH
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: