• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alvaro Jaramillo's new Bird Book (1 Viewer)

erizzo

Well I've been waiting for a colour bird book for Chile for a long time and I had heard one was going to come out, but it never did so I had to us the Chilean one that was black and white, with no maps just some referense of where, to where the bird lived.

But about 6 months ago I saw in Birders World magazine that there was new bird book for Chile by a Chilean that grew up in Canada that now lives in USA. So for my birthday i got it, and man that is an amazing book. The plates are great, AMAZING PAINTINGS, great maps, and good refrence to what habitat it lives in. It make birding a lot easier and also to ID birds. :clap:
To check this bird book out you can visit

http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/7598.html

If you ever come to Chile you have to get the "Birds of Chile" by Alvaro Jaramillo and if you can you can also take tours with him in Chile. If you want to know more about the tours you can visit

http://www.wingsbirds.com/tours/chile.htm

I just thought that you guys may just like to know that, and maybe someday you may want to come and check out the 473 birds in Chile plus 8(???) ENDEMICS.

Good Birding :bounce:

It's great that you've found a good field guide, Erik. As you say, it should make life a lot easier. Hope you see lots of the bird in it!

I fully agree that this is a great book. I have not yet had a chance to use it, but I wish it had come out earlier for my trip to Peru. I posted the following review at Amazon.com where many more favourable remarks plus a few minor negative points can be found.

"The great void of high-quality field guides for South America is gradually shrinking. This book is undoubtedly most useful way beyond the boundaries of Chile. I wish I had had this book for my trip to southern Peru in 2000. The attempt to identify yellow-finches with the only field guide I had for that area (de la Peña and Rumboll) was an exercise in sheer frustration. The new book shows clear differences between the species. I can't judge the accuracy for most species, but this is a book that gives you confidence that the author and the illustrators got the vast majority right. As had been mentioned in earlier reviews, the quality of the plates is a bit variable, but they all seem at least usable, and the majority is downright excellent. The many flight pictures are particularly welcome. Sexual differences and even some geographical variations are clearly depicted as well. What a fine and compact guide book! ....."

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back