• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand, May 2019 (1 of 2) (1 Viewer)

Cormac

I spent a few days in Thailand recently and would appreciate ID on the following;

1.Bangkok

2.Bangkok - Chinese Pond Heron ?

3. Phuket -

Attachments

• DSCN1557.JPG
    DSCN1557.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1665.JPG
    DSCN1665.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1918.JPG
    DSCN1918.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Larry.

A local guy in Bangkok told me that No 2 was a Chinese Pond Heron. Is there any way of saying what type No 1 is.

Thanks Larry.

A local guy in Bangkok told me that No 2 was a Chinese Pond Heron. Is there any way of saying what type No 1 is.

I'm not sure how he knew it was Chinese pond heron. Both Chinese and Javan Pond Heron are found in Bangkok, and in non breeding plumage they are, as far as I know, impossible to tell apart.
Agree with Zebra dove for #3.

I'm not sure how he knew it was Chinese pond heron. Both Chinese and Javan Pond Heron are found in Bangkok, and in non breeding plumage they are, as far as I know, impossible to tell apart.
Agree with Zebra dove for #3.

That's true, but this bird is starting to show breeding plumage around the head. It looks fairly reddish, suggesting Chinese to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back