• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to buy a tripod head for photography (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have a Manfrotto 055MFV tripod and want to buy a head for photography. It will be used primarily for bird photos, not video and also for photographing my sculpture. I dont use anything very heavy, just a panasonic FZ30 and Olympus 1.7 converter.

Having a manfrotto tripod I have looked at the 141rc , which looks sturdy and solid and the lighter more plastic looking newer 804rc2.

I dont want to spend hundreds so please help me make up my mind by giving me your advice, experience or alternative recomendations to those I have mentioned.

Thanks
BB

My two cents? That 141 RC is a beast. A decent ballhead in in order here. Manfrotto makes a few inexpensive ones. The 486 RC2 for example.

I'd put a Markins Q3 or M10 on it myself.

Last edited:
I have an 804rc2. It's OK, but I actually prefer the 391RC2. The 391 is cheaper, lighter, and just as adjustable. Also works well as a spotting scope head. See it here:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/18055?livid=80|81&idx=82

I have a Manfrotto 055MFV tripod and want to buy a head for photography. It will be used primarily for bird photos, not video and also for photographing my sculpture. I dont use anything very heavy, just a panasonic FZ30 and Olympus 1.7 converter.

Having a manfrotto tripod I have looked at the 141rc , which looks sturdy and solid and the lighter more plastic looking newer 804rc2.

I dont want to spend hundreds so please help me make up my mind by giving me your advice, experience or alternative recomendations to those I have mentioned.

Thanks
BB

Check out the Slik Pistol Grip ballheads very handy and not mega expensive, should also be useful for your sculpture shots

Head Bought

Thanks to you all for posting your thoughts.:t:

Today I went to Camera World in London, tried out several and came home with the 804RC2

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back