• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo Tripod - Advice needed please (1 Viewer)

chrisjones

I am at present using a 1D series with a 500mm f4.0 IS and a Indian Gimbal head (which I actually find very good), the whole set up weighs in at 8.5kgs. I take nature photos, mainly birds.

I now want to upgrade my tripod for ultimate stability v weight, so have looked at the Gitzo range and landed on the Systematic Series. With the right height I see no reason for a center column, so intended to put the Gimbal head straight on to the Top Plate.

Here's the rub (if you are with me so far), I'm 5'6" and so have been trying to work out the optimum height not having a center column to play with, but I'm actually finding that the shortest pod the GT3530S is taller than my current set up, all be it by only 2.5".

I'm now asking my self if I'm making all the right assumptions here, the catalogue states the max height of the pod is 50.4" without a column, I am therefore assuming that the only way to take it down from there is to retract the legs, someting I don't want to be faffing around with in the field.

Can anyone comment on my assumptions, choice and working with such a pod when you are around 5'6".

Help, advice appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,
If your looking for a excellent tripod check out Redsnapper tripods on Ebay or http://www1.clikpic.com/Redsnapper/ i have the TRI-283 TRIPOD and the build quality is great! very solid and will extend to over 6' no problem. I use it with my Bigma/Canon 350d and its rock solid but still light enough to carry.
Hope this helps
Brian

Could you mark the legs of the tripod to your preferred extension?

I have a Gitzo tripod which I don't fully extend and haven't found the leg extension to be all that critical. I do have a leveling head which allows me to quickly compensate for uneven leg extension and unlevel ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back