Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden..single occurence species

Old Monday 27th December 2010, 10:29   #1
KenM

Garden..single occurence species

One of the many interesting aspects of garden birding is the number of listing applications that one can devise!...ie.first and last dates for various species, fly-over birds, birds seen solely within the garden, no.of common/scarce species recorded etc.etc.

Over the Xmas period It occured to me...that during the 27 year tenancy of my current abode, I have had 3 single (within the garden occurences only!), and surprisingly they are all 'fairly' regular (once a week on average) as flyovers.

Unlike some of the scarcer species which have occured say less than 10 times. The 3 single occurence species are Grey Heron, Ring-necked Parakeet and Mallard.

What other single occurences have the forum had...and how common/scarce are they relatively speaking in your 'neck of the woods'?

cheers
Old Monday 27th December 2010, 11:33   #2
Adam W

The first 2 single occurence species I've had actually in the garden that spring to mind are Siberian Rubythroat and Cetti's Warbler neither exactly common in my neck of the woods to say the least.
Others that i can only remeber a single occurence of are Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler,the only less unusual species that i can think of that I've only had one of is Meadow Pipit though even then i guess its fairly unusual in the garden as i dont see them as flyovers or in the immediate area often.
Old Monday 27th December 2010, 12:08   #3
Allen S. Moore

Three species that I can remember only having seen once in my garden are common whitethroat, rosy starling and swallow. The rosy starling, in autumn 1999, was the first record for the Isle of Man. Common whitethroats breed within about 1-2km of my house, and swallows often fly over.

Allen

Last edited by Allen S. Moore : Monday 27th December 2010 at 12:10.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th December 2010, 15:41   #4
KenM

Interesting so far!....

3 common at one site, 2 'Rares'....(one being eye-wateringly so!) at another, and 1 Rare+2 common at another...any more out there?..

If only to give an indication of how important (private land)..our gardens are in providing a temporary refuge to those species that wouldn't ordinarily utilise this type of sectioned/parametred habitat.

Last edited by KenM : Monday 27th December 2010 at 17:17. Reason: Mistakenly typed in 2 'Rares' should have said 5
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: