• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Orange Alert

Hello again,
just a reminder: the orange alert due to the high probability of strong rain will be activated at 6pm

Thanks Martin but already tried the BTO who sent it to the IWSG, they said it could be an unregistered scheme or even lost a colour ring.
Little Stint and Dunlin Salbufera
Pheasants Son Real seen more this year than the last 10 put together.
Serin Son Real.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpg
    IMG_4366.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4419 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_4419 (1024x732).jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4483 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_4483 (1024x733).jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4449 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_4449 (1024x732).jpg
    622 KB · Views: 31
Boats

I’m going to spend 4 days in Port de Pollenca in early November. Are there any boat trips specially for birders? If not, which normal boat trips are likely to be good for shearwaters etc.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi JeffMoh. I don’t know of any specific boat trips for birders but there still maybe a few outings being offered. You will be able to see both species of Shearwaters from Formentor if not.
The east coast is better still if you can get there.
If anyone knows any more, could they please post. Thanks, Mike

Hi JeffMoh. I don’t know of any specific boat trips for birders but there still maybe a few outings being offered. You will be able to see both species of Shearwaters from Formentor if not.

Best place I found for seeing shearwaters close is at Cap de Pera near Cala Ratjada, Cala san Vincente and Formentor as Mike said

We spent the afternoon avoiding the rain and floods at s'Amarador. Singing Great reed Warbler , 7+ Song Thrush single Sky Lark and Water Pipit over. And the days high light a male Bluethroat next to the track just a few meters from the car.

Two Yellow-browed warblers seen by Maties at Albufera. Also a Merlín at Albufereta.
I went to Porto Colom to look for Yellow-browed warblers and as soon as I stepped out of the car, one was calling. I played a recording straight away and it was definitely the same call.
It was in exactly the same location as last year as found by Jason. Let’s hope lots more are on their way.
Good prediction Cristina!!
Mike

Thanks Pep, will send them the photo.
Garganey,
Marbled Duck,
Water Rail,
Green Sand. all Salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_4532 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_4532 (1024x733).jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4588 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_4588 (1024x733).jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4846 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_4846 (1024x732).jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4943 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_4943 (1024x732).jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 17
When I was at Porto Colom there was a falconer training a Harris hawk. The owner told me he had lost four birds here in Mallorca and his friends had also lost birds. One was found electrocuted but there must still be quite a few free-flying birds out there.
Just one to consider for anyone seeing unidentified raptors.
It’s still important to report birds though. I have only ever seen one here.
Mike

I took a boat trip out to Formentor from Puerto Pollensa in the summer and saw Scopoli’s from it. It’s not specifically for birding, but you can still see them anyway. Here is the link to the company.
http://lanchaslagaviota.com/en/formentor-point/

Still not finished going through my photos but here are a few.
Steve.
Little Stint Salbufera. still waiting for a report back from the ringer.
Wood Sands Sillot Playa de Muro.
Spotless Starlings Can Cuarassa
Glossy Ibis Son Bosc.

News on your Little Stint:

Calidris minuta
Ringed on 01/10/2017 at Salobrar de Campos by a local ringer. :t:

Cheers
Steve

Two Yellow-browed warblers seen by Maties at Albufera. Also a Merlín at Albufereta.
I went to Porto Colom to look for Yellow-browed warblers and as soon as I stepped out of the car, one was calling. I played a recording straight away and it was definitely the same call.
It was in exactly the same location as last year as found by Jason. Let’s hope lots more are on their way.
Good prediction Cristina!!
Mike

Not me, they are very punctual ;)

At the Cap early this morning I don’t ever remember seeing so many birds in the air at the same time before.
There were groups of Starling, Goldfinch, Linnet, Swallows, House Martins, Wood pigeons, Ravens, House sparrows, Skylarks and Song Thrushes.
There were good numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters and a few Balearic shearwaters flying close in for a change.
Migrating raptors were: two Marsh Harrier, one Booted Eagle and two Common Kestrels.
A strange thrush did a circuit overhead which we are still investigating. It was quite compact with a shortish tail, white underwing, white half necklace and light grey overall. A bit of a mystery.
Mike

Majorca Sept 2018

Thanks Steve for the Little Stint Information, was it rung as a juvenile, have there been any other sightings reported.
Black Vultures at Mortitx.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_4655 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_4655 (1024x734).jpg
    190 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4686 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_4686 (1024x733).jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4777 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_4777 (1024x733).jpg
    222 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4784 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_4784 (1024x731).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 29
A walk to the enterence of Ternelles Valley near Pollensa.

6 Black vultures, 5 Griffon Vultures, Red Kite, Kestrel, Gray wagtails, Blue Rockthrush, Crag Martins,and Ravens seen.

Mike, regarding permission for enterning the valley, do you now have to go with a guide? If so how long does the guide stay with you?

Hi Mike. You don’t need a guide but many people have one as they usually arrange entrance and also they know all the best places.
I went recently but StewB did all the arranging.
Perhaps he will post here how to obtain the permits.
It’s a great place and I had the best views of both Griffon and Black vulture ever. Over twenty in the sky at one time is possible and they come really low. Absolutely brilliant and a great day out.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back