• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjars, and being eaten alive! (1 Viewer)

Norfolk Coot

Perpetual Novice
After a day of mixed weather (dull and drizzly all morning, followed by bright warm sunshine, then heavy showers) the evening was still and sunny so we decided to go looking for nightjars, a bird we had not seen before

Dersingham Bog

Apparently this is the best place in Norfolk to see nightjars. Even though I was brought up only 8 miles down the road I had never been here before. We entered the nature reserve from the second (Wolferton) entrance and followed the footpath round to the left and came to an area called The Cliff which is just what it says it is, 6,000 years ago this was where the sea came up to. What an amazing view right over the woods to the sea and beyond. You can see Snettisham RSPB and with the tide out, the expanse of mudflats in front of it. We followed the cliff top along as it bore right and could then look out over Dersingham Bog. A set of telephone wires cut a path through across the bog and through the trees beyond and we knew that this is where we would see the nightjars. A few gnats were about but were only a minor irritation. A small party of birders were approaching the same spot from the other direction and were also there for the nightjars. They had come up from the bog, and as it was still a little while before sunset we decided to go and have a look at the bog ourselves first. They warned us that the gnats were worse down there. A set up steps led down the cliff to a circular boardwalk which led out into the bog and back. The gnats were not too bad. A cuckoo was calling but was some distance away. We were right under the phone wires here but thought we might get better views from up the top so we climbed back up the steps and were immediately rewarded with a roding woodcock.

The other party had gone and we soon found out why. As we waited for the sun to set clouds of bugs appeared and before long it felt like we were being eaten alive. They were all over our clothes, our faces and in our hair. I must have inhaled lots! Even cigarette smoke wouldn’t keep them at bay. Regrettably we decided we couldn’t stay and trudged back along the cliff trying to outpace the swarms. We stopped briefly to admire the sunset, magnificent as always in this part of Norfolk, then went back to the car and headed for Sandringham woods.

Sandringham Woods

Back past the Wolferton Triangle, over the A149 and into Sandringham woods we passed half a dozen cars on the roadside but decided that wasn’t the place marked in our book so drove round, all the time worrying that it would get dark too quick. We couldn’t find the other place so headed back and parked by the other cars. At this point phone wires cut through the woods so we headed along the path beneath them to where some birders were gathered, including the small party missing from the Bog who had also fled from the hungry swarms!

More roding woodcocks were seen circling, making and high pitch calls and beating their wings. We could faintly hear the churring of a nightjar over the loud noise from the nearby A149. One of the party gave us a tip about cupping our hands to our ears. The effect was dramatic, amplifying the churring many times whilst blocking out the road noise. This churring noise of the nightjar is the most amazing sound and just seems to go on and on.

It wasn’t long before a nightjar was spotted in the air. Then another woodcock, which landed some distance away but was just visible in the gloom and the mist which was appearing from nowhere. Again we saw the nightjar, and again and again, all the time that amazing churring loud in our ears.

With the very last of the light we walked back through the mist to the car whilst we could still see where we were going, and a small bat flew over us. We were amazed to find it was 10pm. What a great evening! Next time we go armed with insect repellent!!

Kay & Col

A very interesting read. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's seldom I get chance for a late evening of birding, but it certainly pays off for the Owls and as you say for the Woodcock which normally you only see when disturbing them as for me yesterday. I haven't seen Nightjar yet this year. I hope that you are participating in the GBSC this weekend as that would be an excellent one to incorporate.

A marvellous account. Yes... those flying insects can be dangerous things. My wife and son were very badly bitten when we were at Dunwich a while back and needed treatment for the bites which swelled into large red wheals over the succeeding days. Strangely they left my other son and me alone - obviously not tasty enough!

Another reason for me to come over to your side of the country. I hav'nt seen or heard a Nightjar for over fourty years. Thanks for sharing that experience Kay & Col.
Tanny

Well I live in Norfolk but have just this week seen nghtjar for the first time....in Devon! Sighting was very poor but the sound was fantastic, I must try Sandringham too.

Great story, interesting and fun to read. Don't envy you the gnats but at least you'll have "battle scars" to make your sighting even more memorable!

Hi Kay & Col

I was actually at that site last Saturday night. I certainly consider it the best place, not only in Norfolk but possibly England. You call it Sandringham Woods but I know it as Cat's Bottom which is what it's name is on the O/S map.

Last year the last time I went was on the longest day of the year (21st of June) and my missus had them almost touching her hair. I have had them almost by my feet at times at this site.

If you think it's good at Dusk you ought to try it at Dawn. It's absolute magic as you get to see the birds in much clearer light plus the Woodcock seem to come even closer.

Fabulous place and I never tire of going there.

We were foolish enough (or those that were bitten worst) to be wearing shorts. It was such a sultry evening. Never again - insect repellant and, well, I've never thought of it before - a midge hood. Where do you get them from, Michael?

Hi Steve,

scampo said:
a midge hood. Where do you get them from, Michael?
Bought it from a local maker in Kielder village, who turned up with lots of them at a twitch at Kielder a few years ago (for a no-show Tengmalm's Owl) - he sold loads of them . . . hardly surprising, the Kielder midges were out in force that evening ;)

Sorry, I don't know the address of the person who makes them. But if you're ever up this way, try the village shop in Kielder

Michael

I'm up your way in a few weeks, Michael - along with the rest of the Campsall clan: Wendy, Nick and Matt. We're taking our annual holiday in Alnham - hope to see a few local birds while we're there (and not too many midges).

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Steve,

Bought it from a local maker in Kielder village, who turned up with lots of them at a twitch at Kielder a few years ago (for a no-show Tengmalm's Owl) - he sold loads of them . . . hardly surprising, the Kielder midges were out in force that evening ;)

Sorry, I don't know the address of the person who makes them. But if you're ever up this way, try the village shop in Kielder

Michael

Can you give us a brief description of it,Michael?...can you use binoculars while wearing it?

Hi Trevor,

A mesh hood, with a clear plastic visor for your eyes. Yes, you can use bins with it (spectacle cups folded down), though the viewing isn't perfect.

Michael

I must admit that I have found using Deet helps. It certainly seemed to keep them at bay in Norfolk last year.

Thanks,Michael,sounds a really good idea,I'll definitely look into it.
I agree with Reader's point about Deet based repellents,but it's not pleasant to use around the face,which seems to be the vulnerable area when out for Nightjars.

Grousemore said:
Thanks,Michael,sounds a really good idea,I'll definitely look into it.
I agree with Reader's point about Deet based repellents,but it's not pleasant to use around the face,which seems to be the vulnerable area when out for Nightjars.
Good luck with finding one!

Agreed about DEET - worth noting that the biting midge (Culicoides; these are what I have to put up with, I don't know if they're a problem in Norfolk) finds blood sources by homing in on the carbon dioxide that you breathe out, so they are strongly attracted to your face. In fact, with these, I suspect if you covered your face you'd not get bitten anywhere even in t-shirt & shorts. If it is mozzies though, they detect victims by temperature.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back