• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aging and sexing Waxwing (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
We in Milton Keynes have been inundated with waxwing this year (well 2) and a debate has arisen as to the age and sex of the two birds.

On the day I saw them I noted that one of the birds was very much brighter and more heavily marked showing a lot more markings on the primaries, so I noted this down as adult male, the other appeared alot more drab so i assumed 1st winter male/female. However since then more people have seen them and say that there is not as much difference as i first thought, some people even going back 4 times and incurring the wrath of the locals who have now resorted to calling the police!! (strange men parking and using cameras and binoculars, i would assume meant birders and would ask what they were looking at, residents of the area obviously think criminal!!!!).

Now as i am no expert on waxwings I thought i would open our debate to a wider audience and see what others thought.

Hi Ashley

Firstly the difference between sexes:

Males - Long crest, broad tail bar, throat patch quite clear cut, six to eight large red waxy tips

Females - Shorter crest, narrow tail bar, less well defined throat patch ie ragged at the base, five to eight smaller red waxy tips.

Now the age:

look at the amount of white on the primary tips of the closed wing. If you can't see any white at all it's a first year. If there's a little it's usually an adult female, though some adult females - like adult males have broad white tips to the primaries.

Use a combination of all of these and you should be able to confidently identify both sex and age - now if only I had some down here to have a look at....!!

cheers, it would appear that there are a male and femal 1st winter from that description, most people who have been since I went have had 2 first winters so i assume I went on a day when the light was doing strange things.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back