• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I was wondering ? (2 Viewers)

I went 20 years without a watch, favouring mobile phones for the time. I recently bought a citizen watch for my work long service award.

I love it, I got the one with Bluetooth connectivity to my mobile, so it buzzes, and chimes whenever I get messages or phone calls.
The other big advantage is that the phone battery lasts much longer now, as I'm no longer checking it constantly. Bluetooth is not most reliable connection, but it seems to do quite well paired to my phone, and it lets me know if the connection is lost.

Also it runs off solar, which I was sceptical about initially, but the battery seems to stay topped up, even with minimal outdoor use. We'll see how it does thru the winter months!

Last edited:
Pretty much the only thing that`s had wrist time since getting it is my Hamtun H1, unbelievable for the money, all sold now and impossible to find.

Attachments

• P1020378.jpg
    P1020378.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 194
Also it runs off solar, which I was sceptical about initially, but the battery seems to stay topped up, even with minimal outdoor use. We'll see how it does thru the winter months!

I have a calculator which is over 20 years old and with a solar battery which has NEVER failed. Especially during darker days, get in the habit of putting your watch on a window sill when you can, seems to be able to get something when we can perceive no sun. Seems to have worked with my calculator and your watch will have a much better battery presumably.

A

To revive a long-running thread that hasn't had a post in a few weeks - I was entertained reading through it as I am a watch collector, minor-league. I've always loved watches of all types and prices, and am never happy with just one or two - I alternate watches each day during the week and weekends I pick the watch based on the activity.

Current watches include a Breitling B1, Vanceur Royal Castle, Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16, Citizen EcoDrive BL5400 Perpetual Calendar, Citizen EcoDrive BM8475, Bulova 98D109, vintage Seiko 5 Automatic, Disney Mickey watch (a classic!), LAD Weather digital Compass/Weather, 1980s Soviet 'Rocket' watch, and a Yes! Kundalini.

When birding, I often pick the Citizen EcoDrive Perpetual chrono, because it's simple, inexpensive, solar powered, waterproof and can take a beating...sometimes I choose the Yes! Kundalini because it has a great display of sunrise and sunset, moonrise and moonset, and phase, so I can see exactly when golden hours and sunsets will be for photography.

My oldest watch Seiko 5 which I've had since 1976. I've had numerous Casio G-Shocks, and a mix of other random cheap watches that I just liked the design on, from Lucien Piccard to Nautica to Casio to Timex...most of those either sitting in a drawer without a band or thrown away if they busted and weren't worth the money to fix.

my watches.

The g shock is what I use in the field......the tide graph is important to me as I do a lot of photography around the coastline.The other watch is a complete folly....impractical to wear due to its size and weight.60mm across the face,over 2cm thick and half a kilo in weight.....it is a talking point though......it gets too much attention sometimes so I hardly wear it these days.Good collecters piece though and I suppose I could put it on its side in the field and use it as a hide.

Attachments

• P1060821.JPG
    P1060821.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I've got a cheap (Argos I think) one left to me by my late father, that I have fixed to dangle from my telescope so I've always got the time for noting down sightings when sea-watching. This way it means I don't have to keep rolling up my sleeve in poor weather to keep looking up the time and I've even got to the stage where I can be watching something with my left eye and making a quick mental note of the time of first contact with my right eye. Works a treat.
As to wearing a wrist watch, it has to be slightly loose fitting only leaves my arm when showering, and I feel naked without it.
Both are battery operated and have battery changes some months apart so I'm never at a point where both will stop at the same time, which is worth bearing in mind (Like when people tell you when night surveying to take spare torch batteries - I find it helps to take a spare torch too, so you can see what you're doing when changing batteries!).

Purchased as I can read it in total darkness. Unlike the watch I purchased for life but now has zero luminosity:
MfueCQe.jpg

LGM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back