• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod Head (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

What would you guys recommend as a good, cheap head for a monopod. I'm unsure whether to go for a ball head or 3 way pan one. Which design is best for a monopod and has anyone got any specific models they'd recommend?

Alex

What would you guys recommend as a good, cheap head for a monopod. I'm unsure whether to go for a ball head or 3 way pan one. Which design is best for a monopod and has anyone got any specific models they'd recommend?

The Manfrotto / Bogen 234 does everything it needs to do, is cheap and very stable:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bogen+234&x=0&y=0

That's the only one I'd get. In fact, I've got two of those ... :t:

Hermann

Thanks Hermann. Forgot to mention that my equipment ways 2.6 KG so that could mean the one you have suggested is out of the question unless you think it can handle the weight?

Alex

Last edited:
Alex,

I would second Hermann's recommendation of the Manfrotto 234 or 234RC and don't think that 100 g excess weight would cause any problems. Really Right Stuff, whose heads are among the very best available used to recommend the 234, until they started producing their own expensive monopod heads.

Benro also produce two tilt heads very similar to the 234, the DJ80 and DJ90. The latter accepts Arca Swiss compatible quick release plates.

John

The 234RC is just about OK up to the weight of a 400/5.6 but anything over that I would go for something else myself (I still have a234RC but rarely use it). Like a lot of people with heavier equipment I fit directly on the monopod (via a arca style clamp).

Bit late on this one! I have a Sirui L10 - moch stronger/smoother than my 234. The l10 will JUST about cope with my 600 F4, but gives a wide range of friction adjustments with lighter lenses - 41 quid from a well known auction site or 105 with a VERY sturdy carbon monopd.

Bit late on this one! I have a Sirui L10 - moch stronger/smoother than my 234. The l10 will JUST about cope with my 600 F4, but gives a wide range of friction adjustments with lighter lenses - 41 quid from a well known auction site or 105 with a VERY sturdy carbon monopd.

That looks good. In combination with a panorama base it might serve well as a lightweight 2-way head.

John

That looks good. In combination with a panorama base it might serve well as a lightweight 2-way head.

John

Possibly, but on a monopod 1 plane of movement is more than enough! The Sirui is fine for me though my Manfrotto 234 is good for lighter loads.
If you want a lightweight general purpose tripod head have a look at the TRIOPO RS3. I have one with an Arca QR clamp on top, total weight is less than 350 grams. I cannot tell you what it is capable of as my gear is too light - 600 F4 + 1D4 set up way out of balance is too light to test my RS3, I am not joking my carbon/aluminium Gitzos are not rigid enough to tell if this head creeps!
P.S. it's VERY cheap!

Possibly, but on a monopod 1 plane of movement is more than enough! The Sirui is fine for me though my Manfrotto 234 is good for lighter loads.
If you want a lightweight general purpose tripod head have a look at the TRIOPO RS3. I have one with an Arca QR clamp on top, total weight is less than 350 grams. I cannot tell you what it is capable of as my gear is too light - 600 F4 + 1D4 set up way out of balance is too light to test my RS3, I am not joking my carbon/aluminium Gitzos are not rigid enough to tell if this head creeps!
P.S. it's VERY cheap!

John,

First off, thanks for the info on the Sirui L10. It looked so interesting that I have ordered one.

Perhaps we have different perspectives, you as a photographer using long lenses whereas I use monopod and tripod with bins and scope. The thought of putting the Sirui on a panorama base was as an alternative to a 2-way video head for use with a scope, but I guess the combination would only save about 200 g against a decent video head and would not be much cheaper.

The main motivation for ordering the Sirui was its Arca Swiss compatibility, as I have a Berlebach 552 (IMO the best lightweight video head) on my tripod. I agree that a pan function on a monopod is undesirable but a tilt head is not only good for views above the horizon but also gives me a few cm more height. Most monopods are too short for my 190 cm (6'3"). I have used friction ballheads on a tripod with a scope but they are a distant second best to a video head and I can imagine that the lateral tilt would be a real PITA on a monopod.

My monopod btw, is a Manfrotto 685B, which can be instantly extended with one hand to the desired height and locks there. A grip release collapses it again. The Monostat is often recommended because the friction of its big foot damps out yaw but the sections of the 685B, which can rotate with respect to one another, offer enough rotational friction to provide a very steady view with bins. Not sure though if this would work as well with the higher moment of inertia of a camera with long lens.

Will report back when the Sirui arrives.

John

Last edited:
Hi John, I really like the idea that the Sirui L10 (or is it Sirui L10x?) is arca swiss compatible as it means not having to keep taking the lens plate off. Can you confirm that this head takes a standard Arca Swiss Lens plate OK? (e.g. one other than the supplied one) It certainly looks better than the 234 which I find to be not all that smooth in the tilt action (and is not arca swiss).

Last edited:
John,

First off, thanks for the info on the Sirui L10. It looked so interesting that I have ordered one.

Perhaps we have different perspectives, you as a photographer using long lenses whereas I use monopod and tripod with bins and scope. The thought of putting the Sirui on a panorama base was as an alternative to a 2-way video head for use with a scope, but I guess the combination would only save about 200 g against a decent video head and would not be much cheaper.

The main motivation for ordering the Sirui was its Arca Swiss compatibility, as I have a Berlebach 552 (IMO the best lightweight video head) on my tripod. I agree that a pan function on a monopod is undesirable but a tilt head is not only good for views above the horizon but also gives me a few cm more height. Most monopods are too short for my 190 cm (6'3"). I have used friction ballheads on a tripod with a scope but they are a distant second best to a video head and I can imagine that the lateral tilt would be a real PITA on a monopod.

My monopod btw, is a Manfrotto 685B, which can be instantly extended with one hand to the desired height and locks there. A grip release collapses it again. The Monostat is often recommended because the friction of its big foot damps out yaw but the sections of the 685B, which can rotate with respect to one another, offer enough rotational friction to provide a very steady view with bins. Not sure though if this would work as well with the higher moment of inertia of a camera with long lens.

Will report back when the Sirui arrives.

John

As you correctly state your uses are rather different to mine! I have my work cut out to control my gear in one plane!
I think you will be pleased with the Sirui L10X, it's a nice piece of kit though I admit it's a little under built for my heaviest setup. For lenses such as my 70-200 F2.8 or 300 F4 it is MORE than good enough and wold probably be pretty good right up to a 500 F4.
The clamp is Arca compatible AND you can adjust it! I have "ARCA" QR plates from half a dozen different manufacturers and they do vary - the biggest variation is with the Sirui plates, they are significantly smaller. I have set my QR clamp up to fit my Wimberley, Kirk & unknown brand Chinese 70mm plates as these are what I will use it for. This is the limitation of using a lever to lock the QR plate, it is very quick but the dimensions are more critical.
Sorry I rambled on a bit - just back from drinkies at a friends house!

A point about standard Arca Swiss although we all call it standard Arca Swiss there are diffrent size plates as in how (wide ) they are that are arca swiss type but not all are interchangable between holders .
They do look the same and have the same type fitting but it does not garantee a lens plate from one manufacture will fit a holder from another .
even half of 1mil less can mean it wont tighten up.
Rob.

Hi John, I really like the idea that the Sirui L10 (or is it Sirui L10x?) is arca swiss compatible as it means not having to keep taking the lens plate off. Can you confirm that this head takes a standard Arca Swiss Lens plate OK? (e.g. one other than the supplied one) It certainly looks better than the 234 which I find to be not all that smooth in the tilt action (and is not arca swiss).

Please see previous post.
The Sirui plates are quite nicely made but the dovetail is a little smaller (narrower) than Kirk/Wimberley, I don't have an Arca one. It's not a big problem for me as there is an Allen head on the cross bolt that you can adjust once you have overcome the thread lock on it, and the QR plates on my lenses are near enough that the lever clamp works OK.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly you use a 300 F2.8 - if this is so then I think you will be pleased with this head, it just copes with my 600, but with the 300 the friction/locking adjustment should be just about right. I don't have a 300 F2.8 and won't be getting one until the current crazy prices settle down!

A point about standard Arca Swiss although we all call it standard Arca Swiss there are diffrent size plates as in how (wide ) they are that are arca swiss type but not all are interchangable between holders .
They do look the same and have the same type fitting but it does not garantee a lens plate from one manufacture will fit a holder from another .
Rob.

Too true! That is why I prefer a screw rather than a lever lock, though I have managed to get a good setting with my Sirui L10x it's not perfect.

Please see previous post.
The Sirui plates are quite nicely made but the dovetail is a little smaller (narrower) than Kirk/Wimberley, I don't have an Arca one. It's not a big problem for me as there is an Allen head on the cross bolt that you can adjust once you have overcome the thread lock on it, and the QR plates on my lenses are near enough that the lever clamp works OK.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly you use a 300 F2.8 - if this is so then I think you will be pleased with this head, it just copes with my 600, but with the 300 the friction/locking adjustment should be just about right. I don't have a 300 F2.8 and won't be getting one until the current crazy prices settle down!
Thank you, BTW I do not have a 300/2.8 any more (got rid of it over 6 months ago, just shooting a little non IS lens these days).

Last edited:
Rob.
Being a toolmaker myself I understand fully.

Rob.

Yes as I understand it the Arca Swiss part only refers to the geometry of the wedge being a standardised angle that most manufacturers now adhere too.

Yes as I understand it the Arca Swiss part only refers to the geometry of the wedge being a standardised angle that most manufacturers now adhere too.

Yes, were some of them differ is the depth of the wedge some are deeper by a tiny amount but this means the lens plate holder when tightened up carnt grip the lens plate .
It is one of the reasons we now include lensplates as we know they will fit and lock .
Rob.

I think I will order one of the Sirui tilt heads regardless as it must be smother than the manfrotto 234 which is cheap and cheerful as far as I am concerned (and that's putting it politely lol).

Thank you, BTW I do not have a 300/2.8 any more (got rid of it over 6 months ago, just shooting a little non IS lens these days).

I have been chasing a couple of these but they now cost more used than they did new! Good thing I like my 300 F4.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back