• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any better cameras than this? (1 Viewer)

mo24

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing the Panasonic FZ18 for use in photographing wildlife, among other things. My budget range peaks at about <$400.

It seems like a great camera, except for noise issues at high ISO values, something most of these types of cameras seem to have trouble with by the sound of it.

My question is, aside from SLR's, is there any other camera on the market that has much less noise in ISO200, ISO400, etc. than the FZ18, yet still has decent megapixel size and high zoom? The noise issue bothers me, as I really like sharp and crisp photos, something that seems difficult to achieve by looking at others' photos, without using high ISO or being in bright sunlight.

Is the FZ18 about the best out there for this? Or is the noise issue something I should not be so concerned about, (ie: does software editing with noise reduction make this a moot issue?) Thanks.

I have desided to purchase one myself. Take a look at some of the threads in the panasonic forum for images with this camera, and read users reviews on e.g., DPReview. That is what I did, and the users reviews of the similar Canon really turned me off.

If you want a lot less noise at higher iso, take a look at the new Fuji s100fs. This will cost you more, has a shorter zoom, but with more pixels you probably end up with the same number of pixels on a bird. The size of the camera is larger, because the sensor is larger, which gives you the less noice. I think (but has not looked as much on that one) that the pana fz50 is a little in the same direction.

Niels

A brand new Nikon has just been announced, if you are not burning to make the purchase right now, you may want to wait and see what people say about that one.

Last edited:
For your budget I'm not sure the new fuji would be affordable. The FZ18 is probably the best of the bunch if you are using it for birds and wildlife.If you're prepared to sacrifice the range a bit you might also consider the FZ50. I've owned an FZ18 for about 7 months now and am very pleased with my purchase.

I have just got a FZ18 and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I cannot believe how easy it is to grab record shots of the birds I see. Five minutes ago I just snapped a Jay in the garden. With my digiscoping stuff it would have flown even before I got the scope on it.

The FZ18 won't make you a professional photographer but if you just want to snap what you see it will blow you away.

Sean

PS Actually I could be more pleased - the diopter adjuster is a little too free flowing. But that is honestly my ONLY niggle with this outstanding camera.

Attachments

• gardenjay1.jpg
    gardenjay1.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Now that i'm fairly set on buying this camera - I can't find it anywhere! (at least not the silver model)

It's amazing, just about every retailer i've looked at online says they are sold out and on order (amazon, newegg, buy.com, .. even some ebay retailers!)

They all appear to have offered the silver model of the FZ18 for roughly $300 formerly, but all are now sold out. The only ones that still offer it are selling it for $350 by the looks of it. Wish I could find this one for $300.

Thanks for the replies. Now that i'm fairly set on buying this camera - I can't find it anywhere! (at least not the silver model)

It's amazing, just about every retailer i've looked at online says they are sold out and on order (amazon, newegg, buy.com, .. even some ebay retailers!)

They all appear to have offered the silver model of the FZ18 for roughly $300 formerly, but all are now sold out. The only ones that still offer it are selling it for $350 by the looks of it. Wish I could find this one for $300.

I just ordered the black model at $300 from JR Music and Computer World by going to Amazon, look at the camera, and then hit the link saying "11 used and new" ... I also ran into the problem with Panasonic having them all backordered.

Niels

Thanks for the tip, it looks like J&R just received the Silver one in stock for $300 now also. It's available on amazon now if anyone else is interested in it.

I now have it on order. Can't wait for it to get here. It should be a great improvement over my old 2.1 megapixel camera with no optical zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back