• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeders with perching ring's. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
For the past month i have been useing the old type feeder, ie: were the bird has to hang on. + the new CJWildbird-food type, ie: new perching ring. I have 3 of each in use, and boy has my food bill gone up with the use of the new one's!!
But the finche's& house sparrows seem more at ease using them. Blue & coal tits have give them a try, but seem to stick to the bird tables. anyone else got them in use?
bert.

Hi Bert,
The only perching ring type of feeders I've used have been for hummingbirds... I haven't seen any that style for seeds. I'll be on the market for a couple of new feeders before winter hits tho'. Found one of my tube feeders yesterday with the bottom side wall smashed up. Have no clue how it happened! I've had to retire 2 or 3 feeders this year so it's time for some replacements. I'll let you know if I find any the style you're talking about.

Hi Tammie, if you get chance to get these type of feeders i think you will like them. It's just now the birds can sit in a position that suits them and munch away, the seed bill really is on the up! So what's going on in your garden? smashed feeders, you been upsetting the wildlife, hope all's well your end regards bert.

bert said:
Hi Tammie, if you get chance to get these type of feeders i think you will like them. It's just now the birds can sit in a position that suits them and munch away, the seed bill really is on the up! So what's going on in your garden? smashed feeders, you been upsetting the wildlife, hope all's well your end regards bert.

Hi Bert,
Things are okay here, don't worry. As for upsetting the wildlife, I don't know. Yesterday morning, we woke up to a 'gift' from a fox on our patio! Luckily, hubby cleaned it up. He was quite upset that a dog had left a mess there until I looked at it and told him it was from a fox, not a dog!
I don't know what happened to my feeder. This particular type of tube feeder that I'm using is extremely popular with the birds and I've worn out three of them now! With two feeders up for replacement, I'm going to look for something a little different. I do still really like keeping at least two tube feeders for the little ones tho'. That way, they eat in peace... no bigger birds or squirrels can get on that feeder. Must try to replace it.
Hope all is well with you too!

I've been using one for the last month, and the birds certainly do like it. Feed bill is going up too, but I think that's just because the birds are returning at last from their summer holidays.

florall said:
I've been using one for the last month, and the birds certainly do like it. Feed bill is going up too, but I think that's just because the birds are returning at last from their summer holidays.

When we saw these ring-perch feeders recently our first thoughts were that the gluttons - starlings, doves and even pigeons would be able to perch on them. Could that be why your feed bill has risen?

rafiki said:
When we saw these ring-perch feeders recently our first thoughts were that the gluttons - starlings, doves and even pigeons would be able to perch on them. Could that be why your feed bill has risen?

No, absolutely not. I watch the feeders a lot of the time, and I don't think those larger birds would be able to perch on them. I've certainly not seen any even attempt to. No, I just think that the birds are beginning to come back to the garden for the autumn/winter now.

rafiki said:

That's a very good point to consider. I get tons of starlings and grackles here. I tend to shorten the feeder posts on my tube feeders so only birds grosbeak-sized and smaller can use them. I wouldn't be able to do that with these feeders. Of course, I could just use the seasonally when the larger birds aren't around, like mid-winter.
Hmmmm... something to think about.

florall said:
No, absolutely not. I watch the feeders a lot of the time, and I don't think those larger birds would be able to perch on them. I've certainly not seen any even attempt to. No, I just think that the birds are beginning to come back to the garden for the autumn/winter now.

The feed bill for me always starts to increase at this time of year. The busiest season is winter, of course but with migration in full swing, lots of birds are passing through and eating heavily before they move on again.
Soon some of my winter residents will be returning! Pine grosbeaks!! Yippee!! :) How I miss them in the summer!!

rafiki said:

I have to report that one or two starlings have at last worked out how to use the new feeder. They're not using it much yet, but definitely there have been one or two on it a day for the last week.

But, more excitingly, this morning I had a Great Spotted Woodpecker use it - this is only the second time I've had one in my garden, and the first time this year (last year it was feeding from a fat log). First of all, it tried tapping the bottom of the feeder - soon gave that up. It then went up and down the wooden post the feeder is hanging on, trying to reach the seed, then in one very brave leap it landed on one of the rings and proceeded to feed. I'm thrilled!

Hello, everyone, Im thinking of trying one of these feeders. Like Florall Ive recently been visited by a Great Spotted Woodpecker, and would like to keep him. That would be a bonus. It does seem that the new feeders offer a more natural way to feed.

trishhickson said:
Hello, everyone, Im thinking of trying one of these feeders. Like Florall Ive recently been visited by a Great Spotted Woodpecker, and would like to keep him. That would be a bonus. It does seem that the new feeders offer a more natural way to feed.

We have fairly regular visits from a GSW - but it's only interested in the peanut feeders (the usual tubular mesh ones). I don't think I've ever seen it trying any of the other feeders.

I have noticed that Dunnocks will visit the feeder with a perch on it to eat seed, when they can't or won't visit any other hanging feeder.

In fact they seem ill at ease even with the perch as they flap frantically while feeding from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back