• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Den ID (1 Viewer)

Max S.

Is it possible to determine the species that created/is living in this den? The entrances had from about 30cm to 40cm in diameter. There were at least four of them in this particular place. 15m further down a trail there was another, smaller den with just one visible entrance. I wasn't able to take any pictures of the other den as it was too dark.
I found both dens at the egdes of a wooded area (not big enough to be a woodland) next to a field in Kraków.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 18
My gut says Badger, from the size, well travelled paths in each direction and limited dry grass etc in the general area (it will have been used for bedding and Badgers will gradually bring it in from further away as it gets used up). Bear in mind however that other animals such as Red Foxes use Badger setts: also I have no experience of e.g. Raccoon Dog burrows, if you get them there.

John

Thank you very much.
I thought it could be a badger but as I've never seen a badger's sett I wanted to be sure. I'll have to go back there in spring and check which species is occupying it. We do have Raccoon Dogs in Poland but not in Kraków (yet).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back