• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zupreme: Is It the Dye or Is My Bird Sick? (1 Viewer)

Ghouyei

Hello all, I’m a first time bird owner. I’ve been fascinated by birds ever since I volunteered at a museum & reserve and was pretty much called the bird whisperer since I was the only one who they’d allow to handle them. Anyways, I got my first bird - a Penguin Zebra Finch - two days ago at my job. I did my research, and I asked birders in the bird section when off the clock about what they used for their birds if they had Finches. I was suggested the Zupreme Natural Blend, and I purchased it.

It wasn’t until this morning when I went to go change the papers on the bottom of the cage that his poop was an orange! Just last week we had one of our birds have orange poop and it turned out he had some sort of infection or something - I don’t remember, I wasn’t the one who brought him to the vet. His poop was your basic colour the day I got him, and it was fine in the morning yesterday, but now it’s orange and I’m worried. I switched him over to some other food I had back when I was nursing a wild bird that doesn’t have any dye in it just in case, and I contacted Zupreme - they’re closed - to ask if the blend has dye in it, but I guess I’m just wondering what everyone else thinks? Someone experienced? I’m worried he’s sick. I called another store location to ask if they think he’s sick, but they said it’s orobably just the dye.

I guess I’m just afraid that something is wrong with him. I’ve always wanted to have a Zebra Finch, especially a Penguin, and I’d really hate for my first time to end up with a bird dead. I really don’t want to be that person that waits until the last minute when things look really bad. I know when birds start to show signs of being sick - like fatigue and whatnot - that you have 24 hours to get them to a vet or else they’ll most assuredly die since they hide it.

Does anyone think they could give me some insight into this? I know it’s not a definite answer but I want an experts opinion!

Hello all, I’m a first time bird owner. I’ve been fascinated by birds ever since I volunteered at a museum & reserve and was pretty much called the bird whisperer since I was the only one who they’d allow to handle them. Anyways, I got my first bird - a Penguin Zebra Finch - two days ago at my job. I did my research, and I asked birders in the bird section when off the clock about what they used for their birds if they had Finches. I was suggested the Zupreme Natural Blend, and I purchased it.

It wasn’t until this morning when I went to go change the papers on the bottom of the cage that his poop was an orange! Just last week we had one of our birds have orange poop and it turned out he had some sort of infection or something - I don’t remember, I wasn’t the one who brought him to the vet. His poop was your basic colour the day I got him, and it was fine in the morning yesterday, but now it’s orange and I’m worried. I switched him over to some other food I had back when I was nursing a wild bird that doesn’t have any dye in it just in case, and I contacted Zupreme - they’re closed - to ask if the blend has dye in it, but I guess I’m just wondering what everyone else thinks? Someone experienced? I’m worried he’s sick. I called another store location to ask if they think he’s sick, but they said it’s orobably just the dye.

I guess I’m just afraid that something is wrong with him. I’ve always wanted to have a Zebra Finch, especially a Penguin, and I’d really hate for my first time to end up with a bird dead. I really don’t want to be that person that waits until the last minute when things look really bad. I know when birds start to show signs of being sick - like fatigue and whatnot - that you have 24 hours to get them to a vet or else they’ll most assuredly die since they hide it.

Does anyone think they could give me some insight into this? I know it’s not a definite answer but I want an experts opinion!

Firstly, this is a site for wild birds not captive.

Second, you state that you want an 'expert' opinion so take your bird to the vet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back