• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN 601 vs TSN611? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Hello,

I was looking at a Kowa TSN 611 the other day and I was wondering if there is any significant difference in optical performance between it and the newer TSN 601? Is the 601 simply the same thing in a different plastic package?

Hi,

the optic should be the same, except for maybe updated coatings on the current ones. I would not expect a significant difference in performance - both will be fine at up to 40 or 45x - getting softer beyond that.

Joachim

The 601 is nitrogen-filled and waterproof, I believe, unlike the earlier 611 model. Great scopes with a fixed 20x or 30x eyepiece IMHO.

Last year I got a TSN-601 and the TE-9Z 20-60X zoom. Didn't like the zoom so I almost immediately got the TE-14WD 30X finder (wider FOV than the TE-9Z at 20X) which made it much nicer for general scoping. I'd recommend starting with the 30X eyepiece and if more reach is required, consider the 1.6X converter.

I found the TSN-601 to be unacceptable for digiscoping, with heavy CA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back