• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Info for Kuwait (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
I've put together a bit of Info / Links about birding in Kuwait.
Websites with Info, Links to some Trip reports I found.

Birding Info for Kuwait (I am too lazy to add all the links here again, thanks to different formatting, so please hop on over)

If you have more, feel free to let me know and I will add it to the list :)

How is this legal?? - I've been to Kuwait and I must say the animal welfare standards in Zoos and the like were very poor:-C. Indeed I found few reasons to return given the the unpleasent/arrogant attitude of most of the natives:C

PS: What happens to the unsold birds/animals??

Last edited:
Legal?
I doubt it, but who is going to check?
With a bit of Wasta, IF ever someone comes along to ask questions, you sure will be able to get away with it.

You did meet Kuwaitis? Or were there from some other places and Expats here?
(Sometimes hard to tell)

What happens to the unsold animals?
I guess they won't get old,... :(

So the law is ignored in this area - which suggests Kuwait is as bad as a p*ss poor third world country in this regard despite its vast oil weath|:(|

Yupp.
The bird shootings still go on as well.

Like Bubbs said it in the Sharm el Sheikh discussion: Where is BirdLife when you need them?

But what are they gonna do?
They have to have the cooperation of the government and the police.

If the police gets good Wasta (Bakhshish, Bribes, whatever you wanna call it), then the illegal stuff will go on.

The government will say: We tried! What to do?!

And we are at point Zero again....

Yupp.
The bird shootings still go on as well.

Like Bubbs said it in the Sharm el Sheikh discussion: Where is BirdLife when you need them?

But what are they gonna do?
They have to have the cooperation of the government and the police.

If the police gets good Wasta (Bakhshish, Bribes, whatever you wanna call it), then the illegal stuff will go on.

The government will say: We tried! What to do?!

And we are at point Zero again....

Are the police that badly paid?? - or is it a case that the police are made up of none Arabs that in my experience of both the UAE, Quatar and Kuwait are treated/paid like dirt by the native Arabs??

If thats not the case it confirms alot of what I and many others impression of these oil rich Arab states|:(|

Not sure what they are paid here.

I was told that the majority of them is of Bedouin origin. If it's true, I don't know.
Every piece of 'information' here has to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt.

In case of Kuwait native is a bit far fetched anyway, but I'm not gonna step into that kettle (<-can't type tonight) of nettles o:D

Thanx for the replies, updates and pics Nicole - you come across as a very talented lady and I'm only sorry I didn't run into you on my visit in 2007|=)|

:flowers: Thanks.
Maybe somewhere, someday :)

I really would love to do some real birding here, but you need a car and as a woman it's Best to take a male companion with you.
if it was risky to roam around alone in the areas I did in Egypt, it def. is here :-C
Sucks a bit....

I really would love to do some real birding here, but you need a car and as a woman it's Best to take a male companion with you.
if it was risky to roam around alone in the areas I did in Egypt, it def. is here :-C
Sucks a bit....

Your tempting me to visit again and get some use out of my "Birds of Kuwait, A Portrait" by Abdullah F. Alfadhel|;|

LOL, it does..... but I would probably feel inadequate with my 200mm lens besides those big guns anyway :p

I know all about inadequate - wait till you see the thing I use3:), did the business though for the jumbos and other game in Zim and Kenya recently, including some cool raptors like Steppe, Snake Eagles plus Black Kites, Marabou Stork etc.|8)|

Yupp, John. I always turn green with envy.
The 'others' come up with great stuff too.
I hate going to my flickr account and see what they found ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back