• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Falco species; SE Europe; Island in Adriatic Sea (1 Viewer)

Vesna Zadravec

Please, help me to identify this falco species!
It is not sure the same bird is on both photos!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• b83e957b-b971-420e-84cd-cf9108c65459.jpg
    b83e957b-b971-420e-84cd-cf9108c65459.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 7fc8b6ce-f697-49bf-b000-04cfe6e5f1ca.jpg
    7fc8b6ce-f697-49bf-b000-04cfe6e5f1ca.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 120
The perching bird seems to have dark claws which would make it a Common Kestrel, I think. The bird in flight seems to show the wing formular from Lesser Kestrel. But better wait for Tom's opinion...

The first looks like Common Kestrel to me (agree dark claws in first image). Flight shot seems to show a juvenile - I can’t see the wing formula (p10 should be longer than p7 for lesser). It may be a juvenile Lesser with a particularly strongly marked underwing (the primary tips look dusky/dark) but it would be helpful to see a lightened image.

Last edited:
Flying bird:
I agree with Deb that wing formula cannot be seen and even aging is difficult
outer primaries well marked (barred) better for Common but some Lesser show them barred too
primary tips show rather narrow bar which is better for Common
moustache seems rather bold
I'd say Common Kestrel

Easily done.

Thanks!

Lesser Kestrel can show a dark/greyish trailing edge to the hand but is generally more diffuse than this. I agree with Tom that the moustache is clearly seen (I wasn’t sure if this was just shadow on the earlier images)and very substantial so agree this points to Common Kestrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back