• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 new Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi All

I've had a good week for Butterflies, adding three new ones to my (photographic) collection :t:
Small Heath
Small Copper
and Map

Cheers
Tony
B :)

Attachments

• IMG_7132.1-bf-Small-Heath.jpg
    IMG_7132.1-bf-Small-Heath.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6543.1-bf-Small-Copper.jpg
    IMG_6543.1-bf-Small-Copper.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7246.1-bf-Map.jpg
    IMG_7246.1-bf-Map.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi Tony,

Three beautiful photos, especially of the Copper and certainly of the Map, very rare those, so you were extremely fortunate.

Keep it up Tony,

Sue.

Gosh Tony! you have done well, with both seeing them and capturing such beautiful photos. All three would be new ones for me too, in fact I'd never heard of a Map before.....hmmm....I see I must 'gen' up a bit more on Butterflies!!
My Best to You Tony,

Lovely pics Tony,however I'm afraid I have to agree with Robin and Bill in that the 3rd one is in fact a Painted Lady.
You can see in this pic that the unders are the same and the nose and antenna too (do you call it a nose in a buterfyl?? lol)
Don't they just love that Verbena?
Best wishes,

Attachments

• Painted Lady.JPG
    Painted Lady.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 28
Bad luck with the Map Tony, but at least 2 out of 3 for your photo collection is pretty good I would say. With the week you are having you never know what next will turn up though!;) I for one benefited anyhow, made me research the Map Butterfly and found it fascinating, so thanks for that Tony and your lovely pics!:t:

This is why I find Ex Beeb a good forum, everyone helps each other and nobody ridicules if we make an error, believe me I know;)

Keep snapping and posting Tony..most enjoyable!

All the best

Oops! Sorry Folks |:$|
Wrong again!
It's getting to be a habit!

Thanks Robin and everyone else
who spotted my blunder :t:

I must get my specs changed!!!

Cheers
Tony

Stunning photographs, Tony! They posed so nicely for you! Thanks for posting those!

Beautiful photograph too, Ruth! Their long coiled tongue is termed a sucking proboscus. Sometimes the part from where the tongue protrudes is called the snout. Nose works for me too! LOL!

Lydia

Beautiful photograph too, Ruth! Their long coiled tongue is termed a sucking proboscus. Sometimes the part from where the tongue protrudes is called the snout. Nose works for me too! LOL!
Thanks Lydia!:t:
Yes I knew about the proboscus.....I just couldn't think of the word at the time.....must be getting old!!! lol!!!:-O so yes nose works for me too!!!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back