• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planting for birds (1 Viewer)

birdlesswonder

Hello everyone
I live on 10 wooded acres and would like to buy some fruiting plants to attract birds. The problem I'm coming across is most require full sun to partial shade and that is hard to come by in the woods. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on what to plant. I live in Pennsylvania, US. Zone 4-6 depending on which map I look at

Thanks

One plant that comes to mind since they are abundant on our property here in western NC is Spicebush (Lindera Benzoin). They are known for being species that prefers damp areas but they grow just about anywhere here, except maybe full sun. They do fine and fruit well in full shade. In the fall, when they fruit, they are attractive to migrating thrushes as well as resident birds. They are dioecious, meaning you'll need both male and female plants. I haven't found it easy to sex the plants by flowers so it might be best to plant a quantity to insure pollionation.
Another that fruits in shade is Strawberry Bush (Euonymus Americanus). I've read that Grouse and Turkeys are most likely to eat the fruits this small, sparse plant produces. Ginseng fruits are also a Grouse and Turkey food.
As you may have guessed by now, sunshine equals energy equals fruit. Deep shade will be problematic for fruiting plants. Even a small amount of light increases your options.
If you can get a Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) vine to climb up to where it gets a little light, it is excellent for attracting a variety of birds. Same for Poison Ivy. Tough on certain humans but birds seem to enjoy them throughout the fall and winter.

Steve

Last edited:
You could try American beautyberry, which does well in the shade.
Also, you may also look into various holly trees or shrubs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back