• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dongle for PC to wireless (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Has anyone used a dongle to give their PC wireless capability?

My wife is always complaing about the lack of wireless signal in some rooms, the only way to address it, is by moving my router. The problem with this, is that I'd need extension cables for all the stuff that's attached to the PC tower if I wish to continue using my PC (which I do) and this would be both unsightly and costly.

We're thinking of trying a dongle, the receiver bit goes in to a USB port on the tower which basically, allows wirelss function but I get 110mb as standard and wonder how a dongle would handle that?

Wi-fi dongle

Andy

Have a look at this - a BrosTrend wi-fi amplifier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L4BM...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

TP Link also have similar, as well as a wi-fi plug which is plugged into the mains and also linked to the PC by a supplied ethernet cable. Then there is a supplied slave plug which is plugged into the mains where you need it which may either then be used with wi-fi or an ethernet cable to connect to a piece of equipment. You can get versions with more than one slave plug. I use the wif-fi plug and slave plug for my smart TV downstairs. It works well but sometimes needs pairing again.

Colin

Thanks Colin,
I already use a similar device for my TV, the odd thing is, the tv is fine, I can even watch live streaming football without any blips but phone signal is patchy to non existent in the same room?

Last edited:
Hello Andy,

Check to see if your wireless router manufacturer has a booster. There is also the possibility of upgrading your router to "nest" router system, which could accomplish the same thing. If you router is old, it may be time to upgrade as the newest routers have more range. Also, you should consider placement of the router.

I upgraded to a new TP and the coverage, even with still reinforced concrete walls, in my flat was greatly improved. These routers automatically switch from widest bandwidth to farther coverage.

Edit: Years ago, I had a dongle which did not satisfy my needs.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
I use both a WiFi extender and a WiFi dongle in the pc which is situated in a room without coverage before I got the extender. I can watch webinars and have online meetings in this way.

Niels

Right,
my wife bought a dongle, I've moved the router and it's working, however, from my usual 110mb, standard now seems to be 2-30mb but has dropped as low as 10.

The signal now has to penetrate two walls from where I've repositioned it, I'd expect better, an I expecting too much?

I'll check with my provider to see if there's a more powerful router.

Edit: Moved the dongle a bit and back up to 105Mb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back